• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is ide on the pci bus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dumbfish

what all does the ide share with? if i have two opticle drives does that slow me down sharing the ide with other stuff?
if the ide is on the pci bus and i have sound cards is that slowing my hd down?
is onboard stuff on the pci bus?
who and what is on what bus and how does it affect my hd speeds?

I know that on Nforce2 boards that the IDE is on the hypertransport bus and not pci. Somewhat of a benefit I suppose.

IDE runs off the PCI bus on a socket A system like yours.

You don't need to worry about bogging down the PCI bus.

Optical drives and sound cards will not slow down a HDD on a seperate IDE channel. If they share an IDE channel then they will definetly slow things down as they wait on eachother to take turns sending data.

I think the bus has a much higher capacity than the hardware can put through it, but dunno really.

Basically, you want every device to be running on a dedicated channel ideally and you can disregard other PCI devices. If you have to use multiple devices on the same channel, you will be best off in most situations to put multiple optical drives on one channel, or let a data backup/storage drive share a channel with an optical drive. Your OS should always have a dedicated channel pretty much as that will make the largest noticeable difference.

I'm not sure off the top of my head which devices go through which busses, but that isn't really something you need to concern yourself with for performance reasons... If you are just curious thats different.

curious and i need to know so i dont misslead others.
anyway on a lot of old systems ive had a lot of trouble getting two ide channels to run.
alot of times i end up doing master slave on the same channel.

Back