• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

effects of -forceasm ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karbon

Ok, my friend tried using -forceasm on his 2.53 and his moms 1.8 and claims that it folds a lot faster now. So i went into registry and added the flag. I stopped both services, started the first one, right as i started the 2nd one (i do 2 instances, HT) my pc froze. After restarting, its been freezing about 20 seconds into windows ever since. (I went into safe mode and removed the flags from the registry, still happens).

Is there any way that -forceasm could have broken my cpu, mobo, hdd, etc? I'm losing about 250-300 poitns a day until i can get my pc running again

i think you posted in the wrong section... try the folding section youll get better replies. but i don't think forceasm should have broken anything

i intended to post here, this is more of a general PC issue than a folding one. Ever since doing force assembly it has been very unstable, but assembly should theoretically work fine.... I formatted and put on XP again, i restarted about 5-6 times for each driver and it was fine during that period but a few minutes later it froze again.

it could possibly be a driver issue, but i had been using the same drivers for about a week and had no problems

but i don't think forcing the flag on an intel should have *broken* anything. cause now he can't even boot without folding installed.

my friend uses forceasm on both his p4's and it runs fine. the only explanation i had is that maybe the hdd is dying. the simple solution to test that would be to try another hdd. i hooked up a 13gb hdd i had lying around hoping to put XP on it and see if the other one is messed up. With my luck however, when it says "press key to boot off cd" whenever i hit something, it doesnt start booting into windows setup- it doesnt 'freeze' but its stuck at that stage. figuring maybe my cd rw isnt working right, i tried another cdrom but same thing happened...<sarcasm> my luck is awesome </sarcasm>

btw im really getting sick of this AI7, i'll probably sell it and get another msi neo2 (my all time favorite board)

Back