• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need help im new at overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dumbfish

im new so i have overclocked new systems only.
what i need is advice on how to overclock k5 k6 pentium 1 ,2 and cyrix
i have all these old pcs begging me.
anyway can anyone lead me to some old info?
i also need to know do i need to add voltage to the old procs? or just more co0ling? some may have dip switches and others have choices for muiltis in the bios.i need some good general info here.

It all depends on the motherboard, but most will have jumpers or perhaps dip switches. The only ones with BIOS adjustments will be a few later super socket 7 mobos.

find the motherboard manuals online somewhere and see if you can o/c the fsb
on most old system you're able to o/c the fsb at least somewhat. I got my K6-2+ 450 to run at 600mhz stable by oc/ing the FSB. Again it depends on how the motherboard behaves. It's still very much the same as o/c'ing now ... just a little more old school with the jumpers.

also watch your temps, since most of the older boards don't support monitoring. :)

If the P2 is a katmai, i forsee it a great future ;)

Got an old 450Mhz 100 bus katmai to 133x5.5 (730Mhz)...awesome chip!

(or was that a p3 :?...i must be mistaking)

P1's ought to do well too, depending on mobo as said above. Jumpers r the way to go! Dont know about them cyrixes.

Back