• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of a new Dually around Christmas time.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

Hey everyone. I've been out of the game for a while, and am thinking of upgrading my dually after christmas. Right now I'm looking at starting off by buying 1 processor, a new motherboard, new ram, and probably a new video card. Just wondering if you guys new of some links of upcoming stuff that I should check out. Just want to do a little research.

I'll be upgrading from a K7d Master with 768mb pc2700, currently 1x 1700 @2200mhz, and a GF4 Ti4200 64mb.

Right now I'm thinking

~$200 = 1GB Ram
~$200 = Mobo
~$200 = CPU
~$400 = Nice Video Card

Total = $1000

Then I can subtract around $350 from selling my current hardware. I might need to upgrade to a new PSU however. We shall see at Christmas time if this happens. The x800 XT Platinum Edition is looking pretty nice for a little over $400. It should come down by then a little. VIVO is definitely going to be important in video card selection.

-CPFitz-

Last edited:
I've also been out of the game. But you might want to extend the price on the ram a little bit. If you're going 64bit, it is going to need ECC ram. :)
And for CPU. I would go with a 240 myself. Saves you a little cash.

well in your price range the MSI K8T master 2 far falls into that but I would try epxand your price range and get the Iwill DK8N because it has the nvidia 250 chipset and should feature some overclocking options. Also for ram you will need atleast 350. For the processors go for Opteron 242's because they are the best bang for the buck processor now. Although all this could change by the time you build your rig but thats for right now.

Back