• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New gaming PC or Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperMiguel

Super User
Sup guys long time that i dont post here, long story short, My PC that controls all my home cameras died, it needs a gaming pc to be effective (running video analysis using DeepStack). So looking around a decent gaming PC is about $1k, so wondering if i would be better off upgrading my current gaming system and use my current gaming system for my home cameras (probably overkill)

So i currently have a EVGA Z390 Dark, an i9-9900K, 32GB of RAM, and 3080Ti

I would move the video card, storage and power supply over to the new system, so thinking to get:

MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk
Intel 12700k
DDR4/DDR5 (depending on the board that i get)

Then build new system with old parts:
EVGA Z390 Dark, an i9-9900K, 32GB of RAM and a 3050GTX

So blah blah blah main question is would i notice any difference between my i9-9900k and the i7 12700k to make it worth it?

I mean, the 12 series is notably quicker... but if you'll notice and if it's worth it, especially the latter is up to you.

If your work is gpu intensive and you play games at a higher res, a lesser cpu should be fine. That said, why by old.... get the best you can/want to afford.

@SuperMiguel,
Regarding the CPU, the 9900K is already fast so I doubt that the new CPU will make any significant difference. New games need fast graphics cards (assuming you already have quite a modern 6 core, or more, CPU).
On the other hand, I see you have a second PC in plans so the parts that you listed are fine and not too expensive to be worth it. If you want to use the "older" PC for games then I would get at least RTX3060. If it's only for cameras then don't waste money and use integrated graphics.

Back