• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frish Install...45 Processes :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Fresh Install...45 Processes :(

Ok so i just formatted yesterday. Installed Norton Systemworks/Firewall, Omega Drivers, Office 2003, Audigy Drivers, Logitech keyboard/mouse stuff, basically thats about it, everying is essential, i didn't install the stupid player or anything that comes with the audigy, just the drivers. There were 52 processes! so i went to blackvipers site, disabled a few things and im down to 45. So yea i need some help. How do you guys with like 30 processes keep it down?

that doesnt sound right to me. I have my normal stuff open (mbm, za, trillian, winamp, etc) and I only have 25 processes and I didn't even tweak the services much.

.... well then. um idk

edit: i uninstalled norton stuff cause it wasn't working and now i had 35 processes, but i forgot that folding and emIII are 5 processes so im really at about 30 without system works and everything. does that sound better?

after a fresh install (nothing installed) there is about 18 processes. after i get all my stuff installed and run it normally, i have about 43 going. this included firefox, aim, aida32, AOL, EMIII (two folding consoles and 2 cores running) key counter, norton antivirus/firewall thing, all seeing eye. plus any drivers. 40+ is normal to me. as long as you got a fast processor and lots of ram its not a problem. go to start > Run > msconfig and then go to startup and uncheck the things you dont want to start up.

SavageBasher said:
or for services, type services.msc

you can really screw up your computer by ending the wrong thing in services...ive unchecked everything in the startup tab in msconfig and it did nothing, but some of the things in the services you need. beware!

I have 48 services started
31 Processes

Anti virus, apache, mysql, winamp, firefox, msn, icq, you must have installed some extra features or something cause if I drop apache, mySQL and my anti virus I am down to 20 processes will surfing the net

31 processes running right now, and that's with iTunes and 4 instances of Notepad among other things :p To keep the bloat down, I just make sure that I'm not running anything I can't open up later. No IRC, no AIM, etc. Just SETI, SetiGate (for caching/distributing WUs to all my other boxes), MBM, and Apache. Look through msconfig for anything that you don't abolutely need, or things that for some reason are starting twice.

There's quite a few services that can be disabled (or at least set to manual), though some definatly need to stay on Automatic. Many guides exist on what services should be set at, and it's usually safe to follow their recomendations, or be a bit stricter. They'll usually warn you if something is absolutely critical :D

JigPu

Back