• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After HL2 and Doom3.......theres nothing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CircuitBreaker8

Disabled
Anyone else notice this? I've been seeing everyone rush out to get the latest hardware and stuff.......but for what? HL2 was first shown on a R9800 256mb@ E3 2003 and they were using max details and AA. Doom 3 was made to run on GF3 hardware to! Im sure its been improved since then, but it doesnt look like that demanding of a game. But after these two huge titles, there really isnt anything worth getting hyped about, so why waste money on upgrading hardware. Think about out, after HL2 is released....people are gonna be like I wanna build a rig to run.........what? For the past two years i've seen tons of threads saying " I wanna build a computer to run HL2 ", lol, I've never thought about what would happen after its released. Nothing that great was shown at E3 this year for PC, kinda sucks. Battlefield 2 might be good, but that doesnt look demading at all.

Well after the HL2 Engine is released, and the DOOM 3 Engine, I'm sure you will see many things that will require that extra flare, plus with PCI express on the way, and people having the ability to run multiple Graphics cards at once, you will surely see developers looking to capatalize on the new freedom of power,

plus, Longhorn will require a high end system if you plan to run it, and high end games, so there is always stuff on its way that will require more power

There is BF2 I am not sure what the specs will be to run it but I would think it would be alot higher then BFV.

There will always be new games to challenge your system, that's just the way things go. The reason HL2 and Doom3 are hyped so much is because they are sequels in a series, and the original games were good. I'm sure right now there is some company out there working on a game that will challenge your system more so than HL2.

QUAKE 4.
Using the DoomIII engine. It will rock.

There will be lots of game that will need/take advantage of nice rigs in the future.

Unreal 3? This has shots and videos of it out quite a while ago now, and in the graphical sense of HL2 and Doom3 I lost my hype over both a long time ago

also farcry...not far from HL2 Doom3 standards, came from pretty much nowhere, either a sequel to that - or some other games company currently making something of a gem but is completely under wraps

Don't forget about possible sleeper-hits such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and F.E.A.R. F.E.A.R. seems to have a very impressive dynamic lighting system as well as an interesting storyline.

And of course, the Unreal3 engine might spawn another round of Rainbow Six's and Splinter Cell's. Who knows what could happen with that technology if Epic markets it correctly.

CircuitBreaker8 said:
Battlefield 2 might be good, but that doesnt look demading at all.

Battlefield 2 doesnt look demanding? Over a 100+ players per map..

"The new engine accomplishes that goal by delivering a far greater degree of ambient world physics, material penetration modeling, a vehicle / character parts system, dynamic lighting effects, multi-texturing detail processes, normal mapping of characters and vehicles, ragdoll physics, a new terrain system, and many other features."

Considering how much battlefield Vietnam and Desert Combat takes as far as ram, battlefield 2 should be a monster, it may not have half life 2 graphics but just the vast size of it, fairly high detailed models this game will be a monster.

Yea I've heard Q4 is going to use the DOOM3 engine. Then theres BF2 using an entirely new engine and it looks sweet. Watch out for Brothers in Arms (looks to pwn CoD) and STALKER. There will probably will be a Halo2 port and I would'nt mind that. Oh ya and Id announced they are working on something completely original although I don't know what.
EDIT: wow same time on the post Falcon, btw is that kurt cobain in your avatar?

BF2, Unreal 3, Quake 4, Splinter Cell 3, just to name a few. There's plenty of games coming out after HL2 and D3, it's just that they haven't been in development for years and haven't been hyped up to the point of worshiping them yet.

Here is a past interview with Sweeney: http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/95_1.php

Well, we are aiming at the kind of PC that we think will be mainstream in 2006. We will also be able to scale it down. Basically DirectX 9 cards will be minimum spec, so any DirectX 9 shipping today will be capable of running our game, but probably at reduced detail. If you only have a 256 meg video card you will be running the game one step down, whereas if you have a video card with a gig of memory then you'll be able to see the game at full detail.

Gamers will be upgrading for many years to come. Or atleast untill a low end OEM comp comes with a DX9 video card w/ 256 megs of ram.

Guys, don't be so depressed. There is enough stuff to look forward to after D3 and HL2:

F.E.A.R
STALKER
Splinter Cell 3
Need For Speed Underground 2
World of Warcraft
Rome: Total war
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
Quake 4
Call of Duty: United Offense

And probably ALOT more, games that haven't got alot of attention yet but that will have really advanced graphics engines.

And don't say that Doom3 doesnt challenge the new hardware because they started developing for the GeForce 3. The Cry engine once was nothing more than a techdemo for the GeForce 3 and look what a awesome game they made with it. Yeah, Far Cry challenges the latest cards, and the engine even supports things like PS3.0 and HDR lighting. I will tell ya, there is no way u can run Doom 3 on a X800 with everything at it's maximum at a acceptable framerate. And I'm going to play it om my GeForce 3 :cry: :p

Lately it's been the sleepers (FarCry, KOTOR) that've stirred things up. I've given up on HL2, when it's here, it's here. It's got so much hype built up it willl be almost impossible to live up to it. As far as games coming, Panzerknacker did a pretty good job listing several. There's also KOTOR2 and Dungeon Seige 2, not to mention "Brothers in Arms", and somebody somewhere referred to GTA:San Andreas?

Back