• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Selling out to AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

I'm going to upgrade from my celeron 433@540. I was just about to order a celeron 850 but realized I might as well go higher than that. I then thought how about a p3, but pricewise they are expensive. I was looking at benchmarks and saw how much faster the cheap athlons are. I thought about getting a cheap athlon and board combo for the same price as a p3. But I don't really want an athlon nor do I want to spend alot of money on a p3. I currently looking for possible p3 650, or 600s that should overclock well. I do also want a new mobo to replace my acorp one but I don't know if should cross the AMD line. Well my board is fine and able to 1400Mhz but has no hardware monitoring or shutdown for windows nt.
Please give me some feedback I don't have that much money to upgrade and want a fun system for OCen and modding.

I'd probably go with a lower Duron, like a 600. And o/c the hell outta it.

That's of course assuming that you want it for fun and not for only speed.

Definately consider AMD though, staying with Intel doesnt make sense.

noooooooooooooo....not another one, well if you upgrade your mobo its probably better for you to go amd....however wait...i believe intel will lower prices at the end of the month......alsoif you dont upgrade your mobo, stick with intel its cheaper to just get a p3 than get an athlon+mobo

Well I'll hold out alittle to look around. I saw a p3 650+mobo for $75 on the ads but it was sold by the time I emailed him. I doupt I'll ever see that again. I would have paid over $100 for that but if I look around who knows what pops up.

Being completely honest - the Athlon is a very good option right now. I own a lot of Intel stock, but you can see from my signature that I own plenty of Athlons. I know where you're coming from as far as brand loyalty. The Athlon platform had a lot of problems to work out early on, but in my opinion it's fairly solid now. Some boards are still not as reliable as a good Intel platform, but make no mistake, a quality Athlon setup is a very realiable and powerful setup. I build systems, so reliability is important to me for obvious reasons. I would not recommend an Athlon a year ago, but now I do so without reservation. Don't feel guilty about choosing an Athlon system if you do. Do your research and you'll be happy. Intel has by no means gone to hell, but they are learning how to deal with competition - this benefits us all.

I quess I'm just judging amd because all my friends with AMD computers have really unstable systems. But they have older AMD computers. I quess AMD is a good chose, to bad the P3 Tualatin is over $300. It kills AMD and P4s but to pricy. I quess I'll search for a cheap AMD combo.

Back