• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Look what I found, any use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kidloco

Registered
fan.jpg

fan1.jpg

I found this a fairly new server at work that was being chucked out, it look slike it could shift some air but I have never seen that type of power connecter before.

On the server I took it off it was plugegd into the mobo but there doesnt seem to be any sockets on that would fit it, even if there was I wouldnt want to run this beast off my mobo power.

Can I mod the connecter by cutting off the end and soldering on a standard fitment, and if so would it be worth the hassle, or is it just a power hungry monster that should only be in a server?

Thanks in advance :D

Yes! Use it. Just connect it to a standard molex and it will be fine. Red should be 12+, black the ground and yellow the rpm monitor. Notice I said SHOULD BE. I would look up the specs on Sunon's site to be sure.

It's only .25 amps, you can safely run it off a motherboard header (most take up to .5A). Fast420A is correct about the wiring, just chop it off and attach a new connector. Good luck!

cheers fella's, time to route out my soldering iron, then I just have to decide wether to have it intake or exhaust?

I current have 1 80mm intake and 2 80mm exhaust, might just swap the 2 exhaust for this beauty

I looked it up on the Sunon site and it says that its a 84cfm 35dB fan... very nice, I would definitely put that in your case. Here's the link to the site, just go down to the 120's and look up the product code for your fan. LINK

nice :attn: I got another 6 or 7 of these stashed at work, guess I better take my ruck sack in work tomorrow eh :D

well just finished. :cool:

ripped out the bottom cage of my cheiftec case and put the hard drives in the upper one.

I have mounted the new fan with rubber washers in the space vacated by the cage and set the fan as intake.

Its linked up to my fan controller, good job really as on full what its pretty loud, on minimum power its silent and still pushes good airflow.

Case temps have now plumeted by 7-10 degrees so quite a result :burn:

granted that would be sweet but I dont think I have the nerve to take a dremel to my new case. Its a shameto waste these puppies though.

I think I will have a word with my bro, hes into his DIY, I am sure he would make a better job of it then me, and a blowhole in the top would work nicely I think.

In the servers I took them out of ( Huge IBM machines at £5,000 each ) they had 1 for intake at the front and one exhaust at the back, trouble is I cant fit one of these on the rear, so a blow hole on the side or the top is the only real option I guess

Back