• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SoundStorm choppiness isnt always what you think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi all! I woke up, went downstairs, turned on my new NF7-S equipped computer, opened the nVidia System Utility to monitor temps, and then opened iTunes to listen to some anime themes, and I was pretty disturbed with how badly they sounded, there was popping/hanging every few seconds. Since the temps seemed fine, and since the comp was 'just turned on' I realized it couldnt be the sb overheating yet (i havent put hs on yet), so then i started moving the cursor across the screen in a figure-8 pattern. I wanted to see if the hanging was the actual system and not just the sound sub-system. I found that the cursor bounced right when the sound gave out too, so it wasnt the SB overheating. Then I thwapped Ctrl+Alt+Del and watched the CPU usage go from 4% to 13% right at the bounces, and then go back to ~3-4%. I then clicked the process tab to see what it was that was spiking, and it was the nVidia system utility, lol. It all made sense! the thing was set to refresh every 4 seconds; but I just never realized that the thing would cause my system to run like cr@p! I closed it, and *away went the sound distortion*

Just thought this was worth sharing

lol thanks for sharing

I had that utility running too and had some choppiness in the sound. I thought it was just my SB running too hot. But I've since switched to ABIT EQ. Hopefully the problem will go away.

Yea, hopefully it wasnt just me; with my testing and isolation, I am 99% sure it was the cause. If anyone else notices the same thing, please share. ;)

dreammmatt said:
Yea, hopefully it wasnt just me; with my testing and isolation, I am 99% sure it was the cause. If anyone else notices the same thing, please share. ;)

While playing DAoC, I noticed choppiness in the video performance...every 1-2 seconds. Turned off Abit EQ, and problem went away. There goes another culprit.

That's still too big, go find the sig rules...

Also, is there any difference betweent he Abit EQ and something like motherboard monitor? I mean, i'm not going to install it or the Nvidia sys utility if it is giving some people probs, could I just use MBM in place of them?

You can always try it, see if you notice anything, and report back - that might be best, as it would help us get a picture of what works and what doesnt - and if it's only certain people that experience problems with the above mentioned utilities

abit eq is rubbish IMO. It does the job well enough, but it's bloated and cumbersom. NV system util is great - i like being able to change my fsb and voltages on the fly. System util only causes problems when its running, so you can do what you've gotta do then shut the program down. Problem solved.

You can change the voltage from the system utility? I dont see voltage controls, I have FSB and Memory Timings, and that's it - there's a big blank middle section however---that I suspect is where the controls you speak of *should* be...right?

And that's the same thing i've been doing - lol - opening it to check temps, do what I wanna do, and then just close it, lol

Yup, thats exactly where it is lol

Code:
[NF7 Series]
agp_min = 1.5
agp_max = 1.8
agp_increment_step=0.1
core_min = 1.4
core_max = 1.7
core_increment_step=0.1
cpu_min = 1.1
cpu_max = 1.85
cpu_increment_step=0.025
mem_min = 2.6
mem_max = 2.9
mem_increment_step=0.1
AdvanceView=1

[NF7]
agp_min = 1.5
agp_max = 1.8
agp_increment_step=0.1
core_min = 1.4
core_max = 1.7
core_increment_step=0.1
cpu_min = 1.1
cpu_max = 1.85
cpu_increment_step=0.025
mem_min = 2.6
mem_max = 2.9
mem_increment_step=0.1
AdvanceView=1

[NF7 Series  0.41]
agp_min = 1.5
agp_max = 1.8
agp_increment_step=0.1
core_min = 1.4
core_max = 1.7
core_increment_step=0.1
cpu_min = 1.1
cpu_max = 1.85
cpu_increment_step=0.025
mem_min = 2.4
mem_max = 2.7
mem_increment_step=0.1
AdvanceView=1

overwrite the nvsuoem.ini file with that code to get it working. It's pretty obvious what the code does from looking at
that, and it's quite easy to edit it if you need to - for instance change the max vcore from 1.825 to the full 2.3v. All
you have to do is edit the numbers.

I take NO responsibility for damaged hardware
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

just in case lol

nvsu.jpg

Last edited:
Back