• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

barton to P4C? worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImportPsycho

I'm running 2500+ M barton @ 2400mhz
I'm thinking about getting maybe 2.4C and run it around 3.2~3.3ghz
do you think it's worth it?
money i spend buying intel cpu+mobo and money i get back from selling off barton+mobo, I'll be spending maybe $100 afterwards
what do you think?

other hardwares
2 x 512mb pc3500 OCZ D/C
9800pro 128mb

ImportPsycho said:
I'm running 2500+ M barton @ 2400mhz
I'm thinking about getting maybe 2.4C and run it around 3.2~3.3ghz
do you think it's worth it?
money i spend buying intel cpu+mobo and money i get back from selling off barton+mobo, I'll be spending maybe $100 afterwards
what do you think?

other hardwares
2 x 512mb pc3500 OCZ D/C
9800pro 128mb

I have (used to have) pretty much all the hardware in this equation: made a switch from an Barton 2500+ and DFI Lanparty Ultra B running 220x10=2.2 to a P4 3.0C + Abit AI7 running @ 3.45. I even have the same memory and video card. The P4 is definetely faster than a Barton @ 2.2 (kinda obvious :p ) but the diferences in real life are small (yet visible). I'm not sure it's worth the extra money and hassle though.

Moreover, I had the opportunity to test a Mobile 2400+ on my Lanparty a while ago (bought it for somebody else) and I was really impressed by it. I could run it @ 2.2 with 1.55V and the temps were something like 39 idle / 45 load with really crappy HS but good case airflow.

In just a couple of words: I wouldn't do it again. Reason: there isnt' anything that my P4 can do a lot faster than my AMD (which BTW is still up and running). But I don't do much video encoding (P4's strong point). And if you are looking for better 3dmark scores or memory bandwidth, you should def go for the Intel.

I see eh compares his 2.2ghz Barton to the 3.45ghz P4. Since yours runs at 2.4ghz the differenc should eb a lot smaller even.

My 3.75Ghz P4C is a tad faster then my friends' Barton @ 2.55Ghz in real world apps. In 3dmark its about even (swapped VGA), in sandra he gets whooped :p

Sjaak said:
My 3.75Ghz P4C is a tad faster then my friends' Barton @ 2.55Ghz in real world apps. In 3dmark its about even (swapped VGA), in sandra he gets whooped :p
Hehe that shows how well the good old Athlon XP performs still :)
Sweet P4 you got ther btw. :clap:

mustrum said:
Hehe that shows how well the good old Athlon XP performs still :)
Sweet P4 you got ther btw. :clap:

I'm still struggling for 4 Ghz... :burn:

One note: i often use my PC as a gameserver on LAN (32+ people on BF:NAM) and then it just so totally rocks. I even managed to run 2 instances of Raven Shield: one as a dedicated server, and one as just someone playing. Memory use was up to 700mb, but it ran flawless. HTT is soo cool :)

Back