• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatsink basicly glued to cpu...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Des1017

I tried to take my heatsink off my cpu so i could put some as5 on it (right now its stock about 4days old), and the cpu came right up with the heatsink, i can't get it off its stuck on there good like it got glued wtf. And i didnt even lift that little metal lever thing, i hope nothin is gonna be screwed up now =\
how can i get my cpu off the bottom of the heatsink?

probably a thermal pad. those things are terrible as you have noticed.
try heating it up with a hair dryer and twist it off. be very careful not to bend the pins or your going to be making a new post asking about broken pins.
it should go back in fine if none of the pins got damaged while ripping it out.
just lift the lever when it goes back in.

Put the CPU back in its socket, then slowly try to turn the heatsink (with the socket keeping the CPU on place. That should get it loose. Or try wrecking it with a very small flat screwdriver to lift the CPU from the HS surface.

I would try getting the temp to load, leave it for a while, and then with the computer off, and the pad still warm, try to take it off in the methods described in previous posts.

i finally got it off and put some as5 on, and the temp is not any lower than before =[

Best for AS5 to settle is to have the CPU on in daytime (=warm) and off in nighttime (cold) for about a week. The AS% then will be settled thoroughly and provides lower temps

Back