• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help For Coolng Ideas for AMd64 and Xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vortexkrow

Im getting a New Pc, Specs

Amd Althon 64-bit 3400+
GA-k8NPro Motherboard

and im wondering what would be good cooling for it because i want to over clock it to 3800+

Would a ThermalTake Extreme Volcano 12 Be fine?

i was mosty thinking of getting Thermaltake Aquarius III External Water Cooling Kit but dont know how good it performces and is it good to get?

My friend was going to get Zalman Reserator1 Water Cooling kit and i was also wondering if i should get this!

_________________________________________________-
I want to overclock my AMd 2600+ XP and wondering what would be just a Good CHEAP cooling i could get good temputures!'

Well,
If your going to get aircooling I would suggest a thermalright SLK-97u and a good panaflo fan. THe hardcano can be loud and isnt a very efficient air cooler.

As for watercooling most kits you can buy are complete and utter crap. The only ones I have even alittle respect for are the koolance onces which still arent very good. If your going to get a kit I would recommend a Dangerden one, It will blow any prebuilt kit out of the water.

The reserator from the revewis ive seen is made for total silence and not for overclocking. It gets mediocure temps and is rather large. I would recommend a dangerden kit instead of this.

The best you can do is custom build your own system as it will be cheaper or around the cost of the kits your getting and will preform MUCH MUCH MUCH better. Also you will feel a bigger sense of accomplishment.

Links,
For the SLK -97u and fan www.svc.com or www.newegg.com are the sites I trust most.
http://www.svc.com/thslsoco.html
http://www.svc.com/pahywabefb1.html

for the Dangerden kits http://www.dangerden.com/
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Kits/kits_AMD.asp
or for more simplicity
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Kits/kits_retail.asp

I suggest if you have time u take a good look at the watercooling section of this forums. There is a wealth of information to be had and ull learn how bad some kits can be.

Thanks for that i'll look at them now, and i was planning on building it myself :D much much cheaper and better :D

Edit: Just wanted to say if i didnt say i want to overclock my amd 64-bit 3400+ and my amd 2600+ XP! So i really need the best coooling i can get!

Last edited:
What kind of budget are you on? Because if your willing to spend some cash you could get into some subzero temp systems. but I doubt your ready for dielectric grease and compressors :D But I highly recommend that you just go out to like autozone to get your heatercore and just find all the parts u need urself. Buying kits is not the way to go if you want the best. And if you ever need any help, the community here is awesome and someone is always willing to
help Its 4 AM in the morning here and im helping :D

The only problem is im in Australia :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head and thx for you help! THis is the system im planning on getting

Amd 64-bit 3400+
G-a k8npro
Sap Ati x800XT and Trying to find best VGA Cooling for it!
Buying 2 Hdds: 200G Seagate + 80G Seagate then i have 3 80G Hard Drives on my Pc so i would have! = 500G

and 1024MB Corsair XLPRo 3200

:p Just getting a Beast :D But out of all i want best cooling! Case and all!

Dang that thing is going to be a beast. Anyways one more thing I wanted to add about watercooling. If your kinda worried about your system being damaged if something goes wrong like a hose comes loose theres a new kind of water you can buy. Its non conductive so it wont hurt your system if you were to spill it on it. Also you dont need to use any additives with it so its not really that expensive when u think about it. It also is low maintanece only needed to be changed every 5 years (although i would chnage it more often than that).

you can find it here.
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=139&HS=1

Im out to sleep good luck.

Btw Hows the weather down there mate?
Eh?
WATCH OUT A DINGOS GOT UR BABY!
hehe jking =)

the only problem for the thermalright SLK-97u is that is not Compatibil with the amd64! :'( or is it? cz i found this!

Compatibility:

AMD: Athlon XP Palamino, Thoroughbred, and Barton 2800+ and up
Intel: Pentium-4 socket-478 3.06 GHz and above

The slk-948u is... it's the same as the 947, only it has a bracket to attach it to the AMD 64's. I would also recommend the Delta HHE as a great fan for this HS, if you're looking at local shops though, you'll probably be better off with a Panaflo ( Try to find a fan that's 38mm thick, the high pressure fans(like the Tornado) all have a casing that's 38mm thick). Use some AS5 with Thermalright and a good fan and you're guaranteed some good temps.

It won't be as good as watercooling, but it costs a good 100 bucks less. If you want to wait and/or have a big case that can fit it... you might hold out for the Thermalright XP-120, it's a alum. HS that can hold a 120mm fan and has temps about the same as the SP-94 :drool:.

If you want to o/c stay away from the GA-K8NPro, it's a good m/b, but don't try to o/c it!

"We tried upping the frequencies slightly and once agin the board blew a nice little hole in itself :-/ "

"After all, if Gigabyte provides o/cing options in the BIOS, you expect to be able to use them. And as it's the second GA-K8VNXP to go bang in such a dramatic fashion, we think it's time Gigabyte went back to the drawing board." Review from CustomPC Mag.

I know that was a diffrent m/b they reviewed but they are very similar - do you want to take the risk?... :cry:

Sorry, I should of said!!! :(

Go for a MSI K8N Neo Platinum, it also comes with 2x S-ATA Cables and some rounded IDE and FDD cables! :D Price difference is minimal.

The only bad points are that to get a good/stable o/c you have to use the automatic o/cing feature, (D.O.T - Dynamic Overclocking Technology), I don't know if that's a problem for you, also nVidia didn't intagrate it's great SoundStorm sound chipset into the nForce3 250Gb.

If you wany more info on D.O.T just ask :D

Last edited:
Back