• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Tornado vs. ThermalTake Smart Fan II (both with controllers...power vs. noise)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterChief1128

Registered
Vantec Tornado vs. ThermalTake Smart Fan II (both with controllers...power vs. noise)

So as I've read on these forums many times, the Vantec Tornado is the choice fan for many of the Thermalright heatsinks. Well, I've also read that the Tornado is one loud mother.

Here's what I'm looking for in whatever CPU fan I get...

1) Of course, power. The fan has got to move a LOT of air. Looking at the Tornado's specs, it wins that one by far.

2) Noise. Just like any human being, I don't want the fan I get to be loud. As I said above, I've heard the Tornado is like 56 dB, which is pretty freaking loud. I have a (smei-broken) Smart Fan II, which is rated at like 10 dB lower than the Tornado at top speed, and it's so freaking loud then.

So, here's how I see it: I want whichever fan is quitest on MEDIUM settings. As in if I run them both at the same RPM, which would be quieter.

By the way, I've heard the Nexus 4-Fan Controller has trouble using the small 3-pin molex connector. People say it can barely change the speed on those. Is that true?

Thanks guys.

I have the 92mm Tornado and the SF2.

SF2- Has a whine unless you turn it almost all the way down. Less loud than the tornado. 80mm.

Tornado- Its a beast. I dont have a fan speed controller, the SM2 came with one for it. But at full blast this thing sounds like a hair dryer. It has a hum about the same pitch as the smart fan, but because its 92mm it pushes more air with the same noise. It also has little plastic curvy things to funnel the air inward, so it helps to get rid of the deadspot.

I personaly lean toward the tornado simply because its bigger, but it will cost you a lot more because it doesnt come with a fan controller.

Have you thought about using a Delta? I just got one in and it is pretty quiet. I haven't had a chance to actually mount it to anything as I am waiting for my parts to come in but I did plug it into my motherboard and it is fairly quiet.

MasterChief1128 said:
So as I've read on these forums many times, the Vantec Tornado is the choice fan for many of the Thermalright heatsinks. Well, I've also read that the Tornado is one loud mother.

Here's what I'm looking for in whatever CPU fan I get...

1) Of course, power. The fan has got to move a LOT of air. Looking at the Tornado's specs, it wins that one by far.

2) Noise. Just like any human being, I don't want the fan I get to be loud. As I said above, I've heard the Tornado is like 56 dB, which is pretty freaking loud. I have a (smei-broken) Smart Fan II, which is rated at like 10 dB lower than the Tornado at top speed, and it's so freaking loud then.

So, here's how I see it: I want whichever fan is quitest on MEDIUM settings. As in if I run them both at the same RPM, which would be quieter.

By the way, I've heard the Nexus 4-Fan Controller has trouble using the small 3-pin molex connector. People say it can barely change the speed on those. Is that true?

Thanks guys.

i've owned both and both will whine at 'medium' settings. at 7v the tornado will be inaudible on a controller. your psu fans will be louder than the tornado. as far as nexus controller i used to have one and all of my fans were 3pin (panaflo) and it worked FINE.

Basically, the Tornado is loud, but not in a whiney way. It does whine, but much lower pitched than the smart fan because it spins about 1000rpm less than the smart fan II. The Smart fan II has a very high-pitched whine, which many people find more annoying than the low-pitched whines. So it all depends. Personally, I find the nexus controllers to be the best around because they can control everything - even tornados and deltas.

So when they're at medium settings, are they both powerful? Like how many CFM (about) would they be pushing?

I might stick with a Tornado, 'cause the Smart Fan II's whine really IS annoying.

Back