• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help me Troubleshoot!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michaelkahl

I just got an Athlon 3200+ (clawhammer) with a Soyo K8USA board that carries the Ali M1563 (AMD8151) chipset. I try to run 3d applications like Far Cry and Halo but it locks up on me. Far Cry will be loading and then just stop at the load screen and reboot the computer. I checked the power connectors and this morning found that the 12V cable wasn't plugged in all the way :bang head , just part of the way, so i unplugged the system and waited for it to powerdown and then snapped it in. I have three sticks of PC3200 but have to run them at PC2700 speeds because the board will not accept it :eh?: I've tried running the computer with one stick at a time and still the same thing :bang head I don't know why it won't play?? I'm going to try and reinstall windows here soon and see what happens....I've tried Cat 4.6 and 4.7 beta drivers along with Omegas 4.6's
BTW I ran 3dmark2k1 and got 23,200 3dmarks and I got 9600 3dmarks on 2003. Those would run and I can also run City of Heroes with no problems...So I don't understand and I'm thinking it's either a driver issue or a compatability issue of some sorts...I just tried Ali's latest drivers along with the ones on my soyo cd and still get the same results. I'm going to try Cat 4.4 and 4.5 here in a bit after some more testing...interesting enough Far Cry worked after I reinstalled it and had all the detail settings configured for low...but Halo won't let me make it to the video settings screen before it freezes up??

Please offer and help or suggestions please...btw my CPU is stock and so is my video card since doing this upgrade and running these checks...I'm about to run Prime95 to see if it locks it up. I think the mobo may be flaky and I might just look into getting a different one such as MSI or Epox...Please help I don't want to buy a new board if I don't have to.

I tried Cat 4.5 and 4.4 also and nothing changed....I reinstalled windows and decided to try windows 2000 and tried various driver combo's again and nothing new. I either have a bad mobo or video card??? I think it's the mobo because the video card worked in my Nforce2 Ultra board just fine...this board has been flaky and sometimes the usb mouse hasn't powered up or the keyboard stopped working and nothing short of two reboots could get them to start working again.

Try running prime95 and memtest. Will tell you if ou have stability/memory issues in a jiffy. Tell us if you have any errors. What are your temps as well?

- Awperator

sorry i haven't posted here in a while...i moved the thread to the video section and got help. We narrowed it down to the ALi AGP driver...I returned the mobo and have a MSI K8N Neo platinum on the way from newegg. Prime 95 ran with 0 errors for 16 hours. I accidently forgot to install the agp driver once and everything worked but with half the performance...so then I installed it and everything quit on me again...long story short...i should have the sys up and running soon with a better board.

Back