• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to put a fan on a Video Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gil_galad

Registered
Hi,

I have a question about cooling my video card.

I changed my processor to a new Barton 2500+ with a new fan attached on it, and kept the fan that was on the old Athlon TBird 1400 MhZ. It is a 6x6 fan, and I was wondering if I could attach it somehow on my video card in order to overclock it without rising its temperature too much.
The video card is kinda old, a Radeon 9000 128MB, but I want it to stay cool if I overclock it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

First thing, just the fan or the heatsink also??? If its just the fan, you can use any numbe r of things, rubber bands, plastic zip ties, string. Anything at all, be creative. With the heatsink will be hard, your gonna have to remove the old heatsink (and thats hard), and then use artic silver epoxy (which is permanent) to attach the heatsink.

Wouldn't be too hard if you've got the time and tools. I put a copper 1U cooler on my Ti4200. It's just a matter of drilling some holes in the heatsink, and getting the right hardware. They have a great video card heatsink gallery over in the vid card section, that'll give you lots of ideas.

If you want the heatsink, here's what you do.

Mark out the holes from the card on the bottom of the heatsink like you would like it attached.

Drill those holes in the heatsink. Then, pick up some small threaded rod, nuts, and washers. MAke sure the threaded rod can fit. A bolt of teh same size will work too.

Then, you just use those toa ttach the heatsink like this:

nut
heatsink
card
washer
spring
nut

Do that for both holes, and the threaded rod is obviously connecting all that. You can get everything except the springs at Napa auto-parts.

For the springs, you're somewhat on your own. I used some off the stock heatsink for my 9800, but if your card doesn't have any stock, then you could try to find something that uses small springs, and buy a new one or use the one you have if you don't use it for anytjing else.

If this was unclear just say so in here, give me a PM, or catch me on AIM at erc2007.

... and by following sandman001's directions, you can get something like the following...
15.jpg

yes, I know its a fuzzy picture and at an angle, I needed it like that to clear a few things on the card.

Back