• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aparently the A64 dont care about voltage.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Im trying to figure out why my cpu is stuck @ 2500mhz right now, i can get 2550-2600-2650, all the way up to a 3130mhz post, but any amount of voltage like 1.6-1.7-1.8-1.85v doesnt seem to matter for the cpu. Even cooling doesnt seem to matter also.

I know i can get 2600mhz stable if i keep messing with the system but i think its wierd how 2510mhz will work with just 1.6v, but anything higher then 2500 like 2515mhz doesnt work even with 1.7-1.8-1.85v.

Wierd.

Last edited:
Yea but its wierdi vnever seen a cpu, where it can post @ 3130mhz, bench @ 2600mhz but 5mhz higher then 2510 and it gets unstable. 2515mhz failes prime95 even with tonso f voltage

Yeah, I agree. At a point you hit a wall and get diminishing returns. What are your temps like? You sure your modded mount is holding it down with proper pressure?

Yea i dunno how much pressure is need but when i set the block on top of the cpu its already touching and i screw it down even more with the springs and nut. The temps are 30c idle and 46c load @ 2510mhz 1.6v

If i use 1.85v the temps will get to 52c.

Maybe it is the waterblock ? Do the cpu's work better with more pressure or something? Cuss i never had this problem with the stock HSF. I was able to bench @ 2600mhz remmeber ?

No it isnt the HT or the ram i already tested that. 2510mhz @ 320HTT is fine, so why wouldn 260HTT @ 2600mhz be fine.

Here is the highest i can get. Voltage does help, with 1.6v it wont boot @ 2600mhz 1.72v and it will boot fine, 1.8v and 2650mhz boots fine. Voltagei s helping i dunno why it isnt making it stable tho.

hhhhhgfgggg.jpg

1.85v is getting into the danger zone for A64's. My motherboard doesn't even have options above 1.7v. The heat output just begins to take off once you get past 1.7v. Going past 1.8v doesn't make any difference on anything but phase change usually. 1.7v is where most stop on air, because all you get are diminishing returns past that.

All 3 A64's I've owned have seen the same thing you are goin through. Cooling will effect you OC in a big way too. I learned that by putting my rad in an ice bucket for an extra 150MHz to bench with.(before i got phasechange) Your chip may just be reaching it's limits with the temperatures your able to keep it at.

CandymanCan said:
Im trying to figure out why my cpu is stuck @ 2500mhz right now, i can get 2550-2600-2650, all the way up to a 3130mhz post, but any amount of voltage like 1.6-1.7-1.8-1.85v doesnt seem to matter for the cpu. Even cooling doesnt seem to matter also.

I know i can get 2600mhz stable if i keep messing with the system but i think its wierd how 2510mhz will work with just 1.6v, but anything higher then 2500 like 2515mhz doesnt work even with 1.7-1.8-1.85v.

Wierd.

what do you mean by u can get all the way up to a 3130 post?

i think u're hitting the limit already like i'm getting now with my 1800+.. at 141FSB it's stable but only 1FSB up i'm already not booting into windows even though i up the volts..

These were written for Tbred B/Barton, but the general concept should apply to A64, both 130 nm and 90 nm, ....

Originally posted by hitechjb1
At a given temperature, the higher the Vcore is, the smaller the delay in a logic gate for a given circuit, hence the smaller the cycle time T can be, or the higher the clock frequency f can be. As seen above, to the first order, without the contraint of heat, the maximum clock frequency varies somewhere, from with the square root of voltage to linearly with voltage. This is the good news - higher voltage can get it to run faster.

The bad news is, the higher the Vcore, the active power (C Vcore^2 f) and leakage power (Vcore^2/R) would also increase, where C and R are the equivalent capacitance and resistance to model the chip power dissipation. Up to a point, the slow down and instability effects due heat and temperature increase outpace the gain in clock speed, and diminishing return occurs. There is a delicate balance between voltage and temperature at optimal overclocking.

To summarize, Vcore improves the maximum CPU clock frequency (fmax) for a given CPU chip with same architecture and circuit under certain operating condition of temperature. So with sufficient voltage, within a (very) short period of time (1/1000 – few seconds), the CPU should be able to operate at such maximum frequency (fmax), before temperature begins to rise, leading to instability unless sufficient cooling is incorporated to limit any adverse effect of temperature on electron mobility, higher leakage current and instability perturbation on electronic components.

Why frequency and voltage are important for overclocking performance (page 19)

CPU voltage: from stock to max absolute, from efficient overclocking to diminishing return (page 19)

Originally posted by hitechjb1
The higher the voltage and frequency, the higher the power and the higher the temperature. Such active power will increase the CPU to certain temperature under certain load for a given cooling.

Since carrier mobility decreases as temperature increase beyond certain temperature due to lattice scattering, transistor switching slow down as temperature increases. So the frequency f of a CPU varies inversely with the temperature, or df / f = - k dt, mathematically, where f is frequency, t is temperature, and k is a constant.

The balancing of these two opposing actions, or the intersection of the voltage-frequency curve and the temperature-frequency curve of a CPU characteristic naturally determines the final stable voltage/frequency/temperature operating point. If overclocking is done properly, the maximal overclocking should settle naturally at certain frequency, voltage and temperature, as desribed above, below the maximum absolute rating of voltage and temperature (as seen from Tbred/Barton, ...). A perceived stable voltage and temperature setting may not be necessary after all, if the voltage, temperature, frequency variations are monitored properly and adjusted incrementally.

What is an ideal and safe temperature for overclocking (page 19)

Voltage, temperature and frequency: the basic variables of overclocking (page 20)

candymancan, if you mean by "post" as posting in BIOS (not booting into windows), it doesn't realy have any meaning as being stable. You could be posting up to 5ghz but may not be stable until you lower your speed down to 2ghz. If you're not being able to get it stable over 2.5ghz, then it is the limit of your cpu.

Yeah, I could get my AXP to post up to 2.9 or 2.8, don't remember which, of course it wasn't stable until 500MHz or so below that. A64's are better overclockers, so a 3 GHz+ POST is neither surprising, nor very meaningful.

yeah, unless there is something else holding back, but it doesn't seem like it. 2.5ghz A64 isn't even bad at all, 500mhz OC on A64, you got yourself a PR 4000+.

Yes, 2.4GHz-2.6GHz is really all you can expect from these to date, unless you have an FX53. It's not that it "doesn't care about voltage," it's just that you've managed to hit it's limits.

from my experience anything above 53c causes my a64 to fail prime95 at 2250. then as I up the clock and use more voltage the maximum heat that it will run with goes down eg. wont ven get into windows at 50c at 2300 1.65v

at 2400 max heat I can have is 45-48c with 1.7v

at 2450 max heat I can have is like 40c with 1.7v

these temps are imits as even if I can stay in windows with them increasing the voltage doesn't help it to be prime stable.

so it maybe thats whats happening to you

ps
curse the a64 stock cooler

Yep same problem here as well. I can do 2.4ghz at 1.6v, but need 1.76v to do 2.5ghz stable. I can bench at 2580mhz with 1.85v, but I can really still only do 2.5 stable even with the extra voltage. My watercooling cooling keeps things pretty much in line with 34C idle and 45C load.

Back