• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3DMark03: 17717

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think it's wise to get 512MB RAM from now on. Especially with games like HL2 and Doom 3 coming out. You can see how much RAM is needed with games like Far Cry and UT2k4. Imagine how much will be needed with huge multiplayer maps on HL2, with all those textures. And if you like playing at a high resolution, with AA and AF turned on, that 512MB would be a huge bottleneck and you'd also have to set a high paging file, and we all know hard drives aren't as fast as RAM. It would be foolish to get less than 1GB.

3DMark 2003 is just a synthetic benchmark. It's mostly based on video card, and I don't think 512MB RAM affects the score much, especially at the default settings. A pretty big CPU overclock adds in just a couple of hundred points... it's all about the vid card.

termin@tor said:
I don't think it's wise to get 512MB RAM from now on. Especially with games like HL2 and Doom 3 coming out. You can see how much RAM is needed with games like Far Cry and UT2k4. Imagine how much will be needed with huge multiplayer maps on HL2, with all those textures. And if you like playing at a high resolution, with AA and AF turned on, that 512MB would be a huge bottleneck and you'd also have to set a high paging file, and we all know hard drives aren't as fast as RAM. It would be foolish to get less than 1GB.

3DMark 2003 is just a synthetic benchmark. It's mostly based on video card, and I don't think 512MB RAM affects the score much, especially at the default settings. A pretty big CPU overclock adds in just a couple of hundred points... it's all about the vid card.
Got it. I'm going to be poor for the whole summer. :-/

LOL dam your compairing my rig. and its sd ram no ocing ( except the vid card ). lol. no cooling at all. that was my score 1491 with an asus mobo . ( semi freid apg port )

I just recently bought another 512mb stick. I've been meaning to do it for 6 months now, but I just haven't had the money until recently. I need a gig for the photoshop work I do, and if it helps in games that's a bonus.

That '03 score is as high as my '01 score *weeps*

Yeah OPPainter's rigs are tuned out for benchmarking only. Still absolutely incredible.

You want a gig for daily use though. It won't help 3dmark however.

Can't wait to see that 6800 Ultra with the newer drivers once they are released. 18000 18000 who will get there first ATI or Nvdia and with what kind of CPU Intel Or AMD?

haha, I'll love it if somebody digs this thread up in about one year, when most people will be breaking 30,000, and there would be probably a 3DMark 2005! :D And everyone would get like 1000 in it. And after 2 years, people will start breaking 30000's and it'll repeat over and over and over until the world ends :santa:

benchies dont need alot of ram, they dont even alot them selves more then 128mb usually, no sound, no interaction, its just a program running video tests. unlike in UT2k4 were i found out how to change how much system memory the program uses... changed it from 128mb to over 300mb, huge performance gain. hmm... i wonder if this is possible with benchmark program too... ill have to look through some of the files.

Back