• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm Looking to build a truly Ghetto system , a little advice Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dancing_Priest

Heres the score , Im currently putting together a computer for entertainment for when I move back to college. My motherboard has a built in 4:1 surround card built in. I want to hook up a load of speakers directly into the ports on the soundcard. but not computer speakers, I can get decent big 20 year old speakers in charity shops and on the side of the road for virtually nothing , the last set I got came to about 10 euro for the pair and they sounded class. is it possible to solder a 3.5 mil jack onto them and hook them directly in without an amp? Im not an audiophile , and theres a fair chance that they could get crushed , stolen , set on fire , exploded .
In the last place we were in we broke 2 double glazed windows , the door , 2 walls , the football table , set fire to the carpet , napalmed the lawn , blew up the oven and god only could know how many glasses , but you had to wear shoes all the time.Anyway. What m tring to say is that I'm not looking for the best , just wonder if it can be done that simply

Cheers

The outputs on the sound card only send a weak signal for transimitting the data for an amp or a pair of small headphones, they're not design/intended to power any size speakers.

Ok , so if I were to get a big ol 70's sound system for the front speaker outputs and another one for the rear and hooked up the outputs to the aux in , would I then be able to get 4:1 sound if I figure out the sub? I really only want a big sound , to go with a media box , which is coming in for around 50 euro on top of all the stuff I have lying around to go with a truly ghetto fresnel tv projector!

You wont really get 4.1 unless you get one of those inermediate recievers from the early 90s where they had some kinda strange dsp for that.

I would go for simple 2 channel. You could hook up a sub if it had hi level inns, but usually subs with those cost more than the whole system you are looking to put togeather.

Back