• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to overcome "12xabove" limit on KT7AR Bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDGuy

I'm trying to get my system ready for the 1.4gig 266 T-bird upgrade I'll do on Friday. I flashed to the new Beta BIOS for the KT7AR and noticed that the max multiplier is "12xabove". 12x133 is only 1596. I'm sure with my current VMOD and watercooled setup I should be able to do better than 1600. I had some problems with corrupted files on my HDD when I tried higher FSBs. Is there a way to overcome this "12x" limit on the multiplier?

Thanks,

Maestro said:
You have to expect me to ask what BIOS version you using ? Still WW or 3R ?

Maestro

It's the newest beta 49B0. I just flashed to it from WW.

Yeah same here ! As I am looking into this. I honestly believe it will require mods directly to the bin. I am about to dive into this. I am essentially in the same boat you are. I am up against the wall with the restrictive bios multiplier. How do you like the beta bios ? Seems to work just the same as 3R for me. If mods to the bin do not work then it means a replacement of the multiplier clock on the board.

Maestro

Maestro said:
Yeah same here ! As I am looking into this. I honestly believe it will require mods directly to the bin. I am about to dive into this. I am essentially in the same boat you are. I am up against the wall with the restrictive bios multiplier. How do you like the beta bios ? Seems to work just the same as 3R for me. If mods to the bin do not work then it means a replacement of the multiplier clock on the board.

Maestro

I've only been running the beta for about an hour. So far so good. Idle temps went from 31C to 41C though. I guess I'll have to live with that with any new BIOS rev. I've had Prime95 running and so far my load temps are the same as they were with the WW BIOS at 47C.

why don't you guys aim for 10x166? doesn't the newest bios have the 1/5 divider(Well I guess it doesn't)? I saw a guy running his 1.4 at 1.73(10x173)(harddrive is probably dead now) that is a solid overclock and his 3d mark with a g3 was like 8000. Whoa

but if you run at 150 that is only 37.5 and I think almost everything can handle that speed. 12x150 is higher than that chip will go sans a vapochill

Wild_Andy_c help us please.

Last edited:
el said:
why don't you guys aim for 10x166? doesn't the newest bios have the 1/5 divider(Well I guess it doesn't)? I saw a guy running his 1.4 at 1.73(10x173)(harddrive is probably dead now) that is a solid overclock and his 3d mark with a g3 was like 8000. Whoa

but if you run at 150 that is only 37.5 and I think almost everything can handle that speed. 12x150 is higher than that chip will go sans a vapochill

Wild_Andy_c help us please.

We're talking about the KT7AR not the Epox 8K7A. The KT7AR has no 1/5 divisor that I've heard of. My HDDs started having trouble at 143FSB. I started getting tons of errors after about 2 weeks, and finally had to reinstall everything.

The bad part is you don't realize it as everything runs fine. All of a sudden you go to open a zip file or something and you'll get a "not a valid archive" error. My GHOST images that were created were also corrupt. I started doing some testing, and sure enough, it looked like something (HDD I suspect) had trouble with data at the 143 setting. After the reinstall I went back to 133 and have not had a single problem. I'm leery of high FSBs now because you don't see a problem until it's too late.

yeah losing everything cuz the ghost images were corrupt sucks big time. I will have to be careful so this doesn't happen to me. btw what did you use to test the drive for corrupt files? scan disk?

el said:
yeah losing everything cuz the ghost images were corrupt sucks big time. I will have to be careful so this doesn't happen to me. btw what did you use to test the drive for corrupt files? scan disk?

I didn't do a test. I just started getting CRC erros from every zip file I tried to create, software started acting funny, and my Ghost images were bad.

That's how I knew the drive was building errors.

Back