• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.2G t-bird not oc'ed @ 64c/147f

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RichD

I just installed a new mobo with a 1.2g t-bird and was wanting to know if 64-65c temps were normal? I have a thermalake volcano 6 heatsink/fan on it. Today, I installed an 80mm fan in the front of my case blowing in, and 2 50mm fans blowing out.

Should I be worried at these temps?

also, my mobo temp is 32c/89f

using asus probe 2 that came with my mobo to get the info.

Thanks in advance.

JEESE!!

Yes, If I were you I would turn off the computer immediatly!

Those are WWAAYYY to high temps!

They should be under 45C!!! I suggest making sure that the HSF is seated correctly, but I even more HIGHLY reccomend getting a better HSF. You can pick one up at www.coolerchips.com if you want.

But you should SERIOUSLY do something about those temps!

took the heatsink off, cleaned it, re-applyed some 'radio shack grade' thermal compound, and now its down to 60.

I will be getting a new fan and some arctic silver... been doing some research on the subject at hand :D

just ordered some AS2, priority USPS, so I guess I will get it in a week or so

thanks for the responses, didnt know where to go to ask this question

You have 2 problems: (1) average heatsink and (2) average case ventilation.

I first used a generic cooler with Radio Shack thermal compound on my 1.2 and it was running 63C under load with a case temp of 34C. Upgraded to a Millenium Glaciator with ASII and my temps at 1.2 dropped 15C to 48C. Then I added more fans to move more air through the case dropping the case temp to near room temp or 24-25C and now at 1400+ Mhz my load temps are 48-49C.

RichD said:
just ordered some AS2, priority USPS, so I guess I will get it in a week or so

thanks for the responses, didnt know where to go to ask this question

Good start. Definately you should get a better HSF - A GlobalWin CAK38, ThermalRight SK-6 or a Millenium Glaciator. You also need better case ventilation - like maybe a Delta 80mm 60cfm in the front and a standard 80mm 39.5cfm in the back.

What motherboard are you runing? some asus boards report higher temps than what you are really runing. up to 10c more.

I'd take the side off the case and underclock the chip until you get your new hs and thermal paste.

If you are truely runing 65c, your cpu is way too hot.

try to keep the temps at below 50c with the processor fully loaded.

using an A7A266

***update***

for those interested..... went to local shop and got a new heatsink, thermaltake dragon orb 3, 7000rpm, 38cfm, copperbase, still using the radioshack compound till my AS2 gets here, and my temp has dropped from 65 to 53-55.

I don't get it. I'm using an SK-6 and your temps are still lower then mine. Although I'm running my 1.2 gig at 1.333. My cpu temps are 59c idling right now, case temp is 27c. I did order some ASII this morning should be here in about 3 days or so. I'm hoping that will help. I do believe a lot of it is the inaccuracy of the Asus probe though. Because I have no stability problems at all.

hey RichD

I have an A7A266 too w/ a 1Ghz 266Mhz. I'm running hot too, like around 63 degrees Celsius. What's your bios version? when i got mine, i had 1002 version reading at 53 degrees Celsius. So, I flashed mine to 1006 and my CPU temperature increased by 10 degrees which suppose to be the accurate reading.

anyway, i'm thinking of getting that Dragon Orb 3. is that loud? i just don't want my system to sound like a jet.

The Millenium Glaciator is the quietest of the high performance coolers. I'm fairly certain it outperforms the Dragon Orb as well.

hey Len

thanks for your info.
where can i find that? i cant seem to find it when i goto pricewatch.com by entering that in search section.

Back