• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 1700x setup,help appreciated. (Not a low effort post on my part)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nemezote

Registered
Hello everyone, long time lurker here, and big fan of the cool people of this forum, never had a need before, but now, I need your help!

Short version: I need your help making sure I'm getting the most of my new system, but also not putting unnecessary stress on it.

Long version: I'm feeling a bit lost when it comes to overclocking a 1700x on a Crosshair Hero VI. But before we move on, my current specs:

Asus Crosshair Hero VI
Ryzen 1700x
Noctua NH-D15
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 2X8GB 3200 Mhz
Strix 1080Ti
EVGA 1300G2
Samsung EVO 850 500GB

Mobo is on latest bios, and all drivers (chipset too) are up to date, Ryzen Balanced power plan is selected.

Dont know if it matters, but I'm also running 2 monitors, one is 4k, the other 240hz, and I'm using braided PSU extensions for the 24pin, 4+4 and a couple of 6+2 (never had a problem with them in the past, but again, I'm not omitting anything)

Well, back on track, after much reading up on the subject I went into BIOS (UEFI, technically, but who calls it that anyway?) and started simple enough. Aimed for 3.9Ghz, left voltages on auto, set my memory to 2933, 1.35 volts, default timings, auto voltage. and managed to boot and run AIDA for 5 or so minutes before it crashed, I tinkered for 3 days on and off with not much success, the only thing I did manage to achieve through BIOS was 2933 Mhz on the memory, with 1.35v and default/auto timings.

I finally decided to try a new approach, I set everything back to optimized defaults on BIOS, and just tried my luck with Ryzen Master (after reading the guide on this very site), and I'm still tinkering with it as we speak.

But the bottom line for me seems to be this: I cant hold 3.9 Ghz unless I apply 1.4v, and even then It occasionally crashes under stress testing. I'm torn because I dont really want to raise the voltage any more, in fact I was hoping I would be able to get 3.9 while keeping it at 1.35v. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to OCing, my last platform was a 6700k and comparatively it was a breeze, I just set it to 4.5 Ghz, started with 1.375 volts and walked down on it until it crashed, then just bumped it up a step, and boom, total stability (Aida overnight in my case). Ryzen is giving me a considerably harder time and I know when I need help from more knowledgeable people.

Thanks for reading and thank you again in advance for any help you can provide.

EDIT: I'm averaging 65c under load with aida.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, long time lurker here, and big fan of the cool people of this forum, never had a need before, but now, I need your help!

Short version: I need your help making sure I'm getting the most of my new system, but also not putting unnecessary stress on it.

Long version: I'm feeling a bit lost when it comes to overclocking a 1700x on a Crosshair Hero VI. But before we move on, my current specs:

Asus Crosshair Hero VI
Ryzen 1700x
Noctua NH-D15
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 2X8GB 3200 Mhz
Strix 1080Ti
EVGA 1300G2
Samsung EVO 850 500GB

Mobo is on latest bios, and all drivers (chipset too) are up to date, Ryzen Balanced power plan is selected.

Dont know if it matters, but I'm also running 2 monitors, one is 4k, the other 240hz, and I'm using braided PSU extensions for the 24pin, 4+4 and a couple of 6+2 (never had a problem with them in the past, but again, I'm not omitting anything)

Well, back on track, after much reading up on the subject I went into BIOS (UEFI, technically, but who calls it that anyway?) and started simple enough. Aimed for 3.9Ghz, left voltages on auto, set my memory to 2933, 1.35 volts, default timings, auto voltage. and managed to boot and run AIDA for 5 or so minutes before it crashed, I tinkered for 3 days on and off with not much success, the only thing I did manage to achieve through BIOS was 2933 Mhz on the memory, with 1.35v and default/auto timings.

I finally decided to try a new approach, I set everything back to optimized defaults on BIOS, and just tried my luck with Ryzen Master (after reading the guide on this very site), and I'm still tinkering with it as we speak.

But the bottom line for me seems to be this: I cant hold 3.9 Ghz unless I apply 1.4v, and even then It occasionally crashes under stress testing. I'm torn because I dont really want to raise the voltage any more, in fact I was hoping I would be able to get 3.9 while keeping it at 1.35v. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to OCing, my last platform was a 6700k and comparatively it was a breeze, I just set it to 4.5 Ghz, started with 1.375 volts and walked down on it until it crashed, then just bumped it up a step, and boom, total stability (Aida overnight in my case). Ryzen is giving me a considerably harder time and I know when I need help from more knowledgeable people.

Thanks for reading and thank you again in advance for any help you can provide.
Well 3.9 GHz to 4 GHz is where most Ryzens end up with a few being able to run at 4.1 GHz. Also, you don't mention the cooling you are using or the temperatures you're seeing running the AIDA64 stress test. To get to 4 GHz (3992 technically), I needed 1.425V and water cooling with a Corsair H100. Among several Ryzen 5s and 7s, 3.95 GHz stable on air was the best I could do and that was only on one of them. None of them would run at 3.9 GHz with 1.35V, most would at 1.3875V or so.

Ryzens do not overclock like Intel i5s and i7s, but do but you get close to the same IPC with many more threads. Hopefully you can use the 16 threads for something, if not an Intel i7 might have been a better choice. I scaled back to a Ryzen 5 1600 with 6C/12T because my workloads could not really use the 8C/16T provided by the Ryzen 7s.

Thanks for getting back to me. Added thermal results. And yeah I do mostly video and photo editing and I can immediately notice the improvements over my 6700k. Plus, I was getting fed up with intel coming up with a new socket/chipset every other iteration, seemed like a pretty obvious "screw you" to the customer base. Temps are around 65c after 10-15 minutes of Aida. Nowhere near close in a real use scenario (rendering videos and so on).

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to add more vcore, or leave it as is. Seems like you are at the end of the Ryzen road.

OK, your cooling and temps are fine. As EarthDog suggested, you should add more voltage. For what you are doing, going from 3.9 to 4 GHz won't even be noticeable so just settle on a stable frequency where you feel comfortable.

Hey guys, thanks to both of you for helping out. So, it seems this is the end of the road, 3.9 @1.4 (give or take), I can live with that.

Anyway, now its just a matter of making sure I'm running things as efficiently as possible. Which leads me to the image at the bottom of this post. Any ideas about whats goin' on with those tiny temperature spikes while idle? They dont correspond with an increase in CPU usage. CPU idle spikes.jpg

Aida64 isn't enough to stabilize a Ryzen CPU, you're going to want to use the new Prime95 ver 29.1 at a minimum. I would start testing with the ram at default. I have tried some hynix on this board and it's not the most co-operative so it's likely best to leave it out of the equation till you know what the CPU needs.

Hey, quick update for whomever may stumble upon a similar problem. I figured out the main culprit of the cpu spikes was Asus's "AI suite". I was not really using it, (I cant even recall why I installed it in the first place), uninstall that, and boom, problem solved.

On the topic of overclocking, I just settled on 3.85 Ghz and auto voltage, and while I did not do extensive stress testing It has been stable when under my normal usage scenario, auto voltage keeps it at around 1.375-1.395 under load, never exceeding 66c at 70% fan speed, I guess this is it for now, I'm not about to get an AiO. Good thing AMD is going to keep using AM4 up to at least 2019, I was getting real tired of Intel switching sockets every year or so.

Back