• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fabulous P4 2.8C chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Solari

Registered
Yay, I finally got a "puppy" of my own! :clap:

I got this P4 2.8C (30caps), and hooked it up on my P4P800-E DLX, with Zalman paste and a Thermalright SLK-947U + 80x80x25mm Papst NGML (19dB). I immediately started OC'ing to find out how far I could push the chip, and ended up at 3.75GHz (14x268) @ 1.625V. Prime95 has been running for a couple of hours without errors now. But I wasn't able to get it stable at 3.8GHz, even if I put the vcore all the way up to 1.7V. It might not be healthy for the chip anyway, but I've heard these 30caps chips can "take" more voltage as the normal ones. This true?

Tomorrow I'm gonna test how far I can OC it with a 80mm Delta fan, yeah the noisy one! :sn: Btw, is it worth buying a watercooling kit for this chip? How much further might I be able to push this chip with watercooling? If you have any experience, please tell me before I go and buy something stupid. :) I was thinking about an Asetek Waterchill kit.

Here are some codes from the P4 retail box:

PRODUCT CODE: BX80532PG2800DSL6WT
FPO#: L408B262
VERSION#: C30474-009
PACKDATE: 04/27/04

Nice.........that a pretty sweet 2.8C 30 capper you got there m8. How is yur temp? I believe if better cooling and a little more volt you could probably bring the number up a little(but don't quote me since ocing has something to do with luck). Good luck bud!

Very nice! I wish I had a 2.8C like that - mine's a dog! Glad to see that recent chips are performing well. Keep up the good work.

Try running memtest86 on it. This might sound strange but you might find that it could drop a few errors in test 4 at those high mhz. Loop test 4 at least 50 times. If you overclock it higher you will find it will start dropping errors in test 1 or 2, go really high and it will drop errors immediatally here.

It is now at 40-42C idle and a +5C on load. And that's with 3.85GHz @ 1.6Vcore. The 1GHz overclock is no longer a dream, it's reality. 4GHz with watercooling? :D

Gonna re-install Windows XP now, sice it is all ****ed up now. But I'll continue OC'ing after that. :attn:

Last edited:
mattspalace said:
Very nice CPU you have there. Actually, on air cooling, that's about the best I've seen.
Yeah, this is a killer chip! :) I just re-installed Windows XP and now doing the Update thing & drivers installation, so soon I'll be "back in business" again. :D

i think if i get my sp-94 and a tornado for a fan i can hit that speed too, in only 2fsb away, i get high load temps though, playing a game or benching for over a couple hours i get all the way up to 56/7

Sorry for double post, but where did you get it? I might sell mine and try for one of those :D

Yours is only 5 months newer too...hmmm..

DamienCK, hehe, no deal. :) I got this from a local store in Helsinki, and I got the last one. The next batch could be worse. :eh?:

Here's a fresh photo of the box:

P4-2800C.jpg

Here's the latest by the way: 3906MHz (14x279) SuperPI 1-8M stable at 1.65Vcore. Doing more testing and tweaking at the moment.

I have a SL6WT from Costa Rica, Pack date 05/18/04, 3418A318, 18th week of this year. I purchased here www.infotechnow.com it is local IT store here in Federal Way, WA. $182, retail version. They had many. That store has been around for about 5 years now.
I have to wait for any overclocking on air because it a tad bit hot here over the next few days, 90+ outside and my little apartment is a bit warm.
At 2.8 my temps are M/B 40, CPU 37, HD 30. I have the Zalman 7000Cu.

Walt

Back