• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I determine the stepping of a P4 3.0E S478 by FPO/BATCH?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanM

Registered
Hi,

Just like the title I am wondering if I can determine the stepping of a P4 3.0E S478 by FPO/BATCH. Just go the processor (still in box). The FPO/BATCH is 7531B299.

Anyone have any overclocking advice? How far should I push this CPU?

-Sean

somewhere on the box it ought to have something which resembles a SS stepping code,
like : sl7nd, wont be that, but will be in that kinda format, just look for that, then post back

The S-spec is the last 5 digits of the PROD CODE on the outside of the box and will begin with an "S" ;)

That's not the stepping. That's the S-Code. The Stepping ona 478 is like CO, DO, EO. The only way I know that you can see that is to open up CPU-Z and it will give it to you.

Dude, you use the S-spec code to look up the stepping on Intel's spec finder. You have too many stars under your name to not know that :)

Ross said:
Dude, you use the S-spec code to look up the stepping on Intel's spec finder. You have too many stars under your name to not know that :)

just a friendly hint, but the OP, SeanM, only has 1 star under his name, and he's the one who's asking. you might have told HIM that off the hop. :)

but i agree, i thought it was fairly common knowledge.

bixit told him what to look for, I was more specific where to find it ;) It sounded like bixit was going to follow up on the spec finder since he asked SeanM to get the S-spec and post back.

batboy stepped up and enlightened them both :D

Hopefully everyone with 1-7 stars is now up to speed on how to find the stepping from the S-spec without opening the box ;)

Ross said:

The OP asked to find the stepping though, not the S-Code, and nobody told him how to get it. Yes, I used to use to old way, but had forgotten about that. CPU-Z is so much easier, there's no need in going through all of that. All you have to do is click on CPU-Z and it's right there.

3DFlyer said:
there's no need in going through all of that. All you have to do is click on CPU-Z and it's right there.

you can't do that when the chip is in the box ;)

3D, I was just bustin' balls...I really hope you didn't take it the wrong way! If so, I appologize.

The stepping is just a means to an end and the only way I know how to determine the stepping without the proc installed, but YES, it's nice and easy to open CPU-Z and see it ;)

Ross said:
3D, I was just bustin' balls...I really hope you didn't take it the wrong way! If so, I appologize.

The stepping is just a means to an end and the only way I know how to determine the stepping without the proc installed, but YES, it's nice and easy to open CPU-Z and see it ;)

nooo, didn't take it the wrong way. I'm having a good ole time here. I just did something by accident and got this simulator I've been hacking on to jump 30FPS!!! I don't even know what i did now, because I changed too much stuff! LOL Now, I gotta figure out WTH I did to get that. I'm on top of the world right now. In fact, here's one to everybody...if your of age to enjoy the JD. :beer:

any idea on what that code is then seanm?!
well its considerably easier by looking up the sspec i would've thought as you dont have to go through the whole 'malarkey' of installing the proc an os and cpuz, and thats what the sspec is there for!
have fun all!

HI All,

I installed the processor this weekend. CPU-Z confirms it is an E0. I am assessing my system cooling at the moment and then I will start to find the MAX OC without increasing VCORE. I noticed that the MB is running hotter at idle than the CPU. Any advice?

System specifications:

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800 SE
Processor: P4 3.0 E E0 S478
Cooling: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu P4 Cooler
Memory: 2 X Crucial 512 MB PC3200 DDR 2.5 2 2 5
Graphics: Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 MB
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Power: Antec True Power 480 Watt PS

-Sean

Back