• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VGA Silencer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rack04

I installed my new VGA Silencer Rev. 3 yesterday and I have a couple questions. Does the provided PCI bracket attach to the cooler at all? The only way I could see to mount it was in the PCI slot in the case. Didn't the older revisions actually fit on the card, i.e. taking of the stock PCI bracket and replacing with the one provided with the kit?

rack04 said:
I installed my new VGA Silencer Rev. 3 yesterday and I have a couple questions. Does the provided PCI bracket attach to the cooler at all? The only way I could see to mount it was in the PCI slot in the case. Didn't the older revisions actually fit on the card, i.e. taking of the stock PCI bracket and replacing with the one provided with the kit?

yeah it does, i think the instructions explain it? funny that...

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/support/installation/install_vga_silencer1.pdf

I just thought that this was strange because the VGA Silencer is not even flush with the PCI bracket, which causes a problem with exhaust of hot air out of the case. Also what happens when some poor person wants to take his card out but forgets to remove the PCI bracket holding the fan controller?

use duct tape to close the gap...... works like magic..... and if a person just snatches the card out without removing the pci bracket.... they'll be splicing some fan wires..... ;)

rack04 said:
I just thought that this was strange because the VGA Silencer is not even flush with the PCI bracket, which causes a problem with exhaust of hot air out of the case.

Yup, that's always been a problem. Use some tape (or metal sheets if you want to be pretty) and duct it. You'd think they'd just use a longer heatsink that extends out to the PCI bracket..

jlin453 said:
Yup, that's always been a problem. Use some tape (or metal sheets if you want to be pretty) and duct it. You'd think they'd just use a longer heatsink that extends out to the PCI bracket..

But in all actuallity exhaust coming from the vga silencer into the case through that gap would raise the ambient temp very, very little.

Back