• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some information on CPU Air Ducts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lefty24

Registered
It all started the other day when I accidently triggered a compressed air can at my families dell 8200 and I almost died because of suffication of dust (jk). But there was an unbelieveable amount of dust. So I took the thing apart cleaned it out and noticed a CPU duct like object. So I read a little about them and have a question. So as you probably guessed I want to put a duct in my case. First of all what material should I use (pvc, etc.). Second my fan in the back of my case should blow out (exhaust) right? But since my cpu fan blows the on the processor wouldn't they be fighting eachother and making some whinning sounds maybe? I am using this duct to hopefully quiet my computer. If you wish to share anymore info plz tell me. But I didn't come across this unique idea for a duct. A flexible plastic down spout elbow....here it is below.

Flexible DownSpout

you can make it at angles etc. (obiously (flexible)) but just to make sure u know cuz the picture doesn't show it.

PS. Can someone tell me how to put pictures right on the post so i don't have to keep puttings links. (is there a option i have to enable?)

Lefty24, I put a duct in my case because of some heat issues I was trying to solve ( which it did)

why do you want a duct?

The rear exhaust fan will not conflict with the CPU fan

here is a link for you to use to attach pictures to
http://www.uploadit.org/features/

And here are some pictures of my duct which only cost me $15.00 to make and was very easy to do. I used an 80mm fan and a 3 inch drain pipe coupler which fits right over the fan after you cut off the unused mounting tabs

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Dcasole-DSC01133.JPG
http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Dcasole-DSC01132.JPG

Its not pretty but it works................ brought my temps down from 60C at idle 70C under a load ( you have to love a prescott)

to 42 at idle and 55 under load ( 48 while gaming)

Dave

Attaching pictures to your post:

In "Additional Options" dialog box, below the "New Thread/ Reply to Thread" dialog box, there is an option "Attach Files", click on the "Manage Attachment" button. When the "Manage Attachment" pop-up box appears, click on "Browse" to get to your source file. Once you done that, just click the "Upload" button in the pop-up box, wait for the upload to finish and then you're good to go.

Ok hold on.. Which two fans are you ducting? They should both face the same way.
cpu fans always blow down...(as far as i kno) And rear exhaust usually blow out.
take this crude drawing from MScrayon hope it helps.
fans.jpg

EDIT: w00t i finally got a star from a usefull post :attn:

Dcasole: I want to use a duct to lower my temps, and make more efficiency so I can have less fans.

Nova7: I am ducting my cpu fans w/ the rear exhaust (60mm unfortunetly)

thx dcasole for the side fan w/cpu fan duct. that would work better since my side fan is 80mm I just hope my side fan is close enough to the cpu. (i can't tell right now cause everything is out of my case because of some modding)

Lefty24,
Here's a pdf file that you can find on Intel's site that might help you with your cooling duct project. I think that one of the good guys here at overclockers pointed to it awhile back. I plan to duct my machine in the near future too. I hope you find this info useful.

Sorry...the file is too large to attach to this post. You can find it here as "Chassis Design Guide version 1.1 (pdf)" http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/res...t_inst_info/dsk_tested_source_lists/53211.htm

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one trying out that flexible gutter piece. For $1.98 at Home Depot, it is hard to go wrong. I am trying to utilize it with the Thermalright heatsink family. It has potential, in my opinion. Paint it your favorite color and it can look and work good.

One possible use is to shape it into an elbow and point it down, to the floor of the case, to suck in fresh air from below. All you need is about an inch or so of open space under your case.

Lefty24,
Dcasole: I want to use a duct to lower my temps, and make more efficiency so I can have less fans.
Just an FYI I only have one 80MM in the front , One 80mm in the duct and 1 80MM in the rear of my case
I to did not want fans all over my case . I did try the duct mod without a fan located inside of it but it was not as effective as when I installed a fan inside the duct.

My prescott temps were off the chart :mad: 60C at idle & 70C under load at 2.8 with stock vcore

When I added the duct they came down but were still not satisfactory

So I added the fan to the duct and the temps dropped like a rock

The temps are now 42C idle 48 gaming and 55 under extreme load. this is with the proccessor overclocked to 3.55 :attn:

Dcasole-DSC01133.JPG

It ain't pretty but................... it works :beer:

Dave

Back