• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the highest Mega pixile for a digital camera?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnderClocker

Registered
I would like to Know Whats the highest mega pixile for a digital camera because My dad is a Professional Photographer and he has a 5MP camera & i thought it was the greatest thing in the world. I later picked up a magazine
of pop sci & i saw an add for a 8 Mega pixile camera. I then started to feel really stupid so could you help me out by telling me whats the highest mp for a digital camera?

DanIdentity said:
There is a lot more to a camera than its megapixels.

Absolutely. You can kind of compare it to the mhz rating of Intel and AMD processors.

For cameras, the image processing chip is equally as important as the raw megapixels that the CCD can capture. My 3.0 megapixel Canon S30 takes much better pictures than many 5.0 megapizel models I have seen from Kodak and Olympus. You are on the right track going to dpreview.com. That place is a wealth of knowledge. You may also want to check out http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html. This is the second best review site on the net for digital cameras.

I believe the largest sensor on a Canon is the 11MP 1Ds.

There are different kinds of image sensors as well. Most cameras use CCDs - my 6MP Canon 10D uses a CMOS sensor and takes amazing pictures. Other things like the actual physical sensor size, ISO (grain/noise), and lens play a big part in it.

IMHO digicams tend to do better in low light situations:
http://img68.exs.cx/img68/4613/IMG_2610.jpg
EXIF data:
Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS 10D
ISOSpeedRatings - 800
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/45 seconds
ApertureValue - F 4.50
ExposureBiasValue - -2.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 80 mm

That was at the (Toronto) zoo using the Canon 24-85mm F/3.5-4.5 lens, in a very dark room, through a piece of glass (no flash).

I remember hearing about a 700MP "webcam." It cost $11,000 and gave a beautiful and HUGE panoramic view.

Needitcooler said:
Absolutely. You can kind of compare it to the mhz rating of Intel and AMD processors.

For cameras, the image processing chip is equally as important as the raw megapixels that the CCD can capture. My 3.0 megapixel Canon S30 takes much better pictures than many 5.0 megapizel models I have seen from Kodak and Olympus.

Yes, that is exacty correct. I did a lot of reasearch before getting my Canon A75. I think it's a great camera. If you see a camera with the same chip, and you see different mega pixels for it, go with the lowest you can find. Usually that is 3.2. This is because there would be much less noise, and you would be able to take much clearer pictures.

I have a friend of mine that thoroughly explain to me how all this works and what I should look for. I was set to get a minolta dimage z2, but here strongly recommended against it. A Canon A75 would take much better pictures than that minolta. It would also take clearer pictures than it big brother -the A80- because it has less noise.

The company is also very important. Sony and Canon are known to be two of the bets companies around.

JoT said:
I remember hearing about a 700MP "webcam." It cost $11,000 and gave a beautiful and HUGE panoramic view.

That was actually just a regular digicam on a motor drive that rotated to give a much higher resolution panorama.

Also, what JCLW said about low-light situations is a really big plus for DSLRs over their film counterparts. With digital, you're fighting with lack of sharpness, whereas with film, you've got the sharpness (to a degree), but you're fighting with grain.

DO NOT GET THE *MN PIXELS CAMERAS!!! problems - the Canon digital Rebel is the BEST SLR camera out right now you can buy - the 8mb have various problems such as purples borders around pictures - lots of "noise" in the images etc etc

i researched this to death when i wanted a pro digital camera!

if your in ther market GET a Canon Digital Rebel and you will lvoe it!

Also, what JCLW said about low-light situations is a really big plus for DSLRs over their film counterparts. With digital, you're fighting with lack of sharpness, whereas with film, you've got the sharpness (to a degree), but you're fighting with grain.

That is actually very easy to overcome :) only thing is say in a night picture with no flash you WILL need a tripod - unless you can hold your camera perfectly still for 5 seconds or more..

ON a side note i beleive all 8mb pixels cameras use Sony imaging chip in it.

Tripods can be a pain. I hate lugging them around, and I'm usually on a boat so they're not much good anyways.

I can shoot a lot of stuff handheld on my dSLR that I've never been able to do with a film camera. But then again part of it is probably just because I can shoot the same picture 50 times with different settings and at least one will turn out.

Handheld from a moving boat (w/ the crappy 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IS lens @300mm):
CRW_2230.jpg

Took that awhile ago with my 10D - think it was @ ISO 800

Last edited:
Mr.Guvernment said:
DO NOT GET THE *MN PIXELS CAMERAS!!! problems - the Canon digital Rebel is the BEST SLR camera out right now you can buy - the 8mb have various problems such as purples borders around pictures - lots of "noise" in the images etc etc

i researched this to death when i wanted a pro digital camera!

if your in ther market GET a Canon Digital Rebel and you will lvoe it!

ON a side note i beleive all 8mb pixels cameras use Sony imaging chip in it.

Slightly OT, but:

A) The Digital Rebel, as great camera as it is (from both a quality and value standpoint) is NOT "proffessional".

B) I should also mention the Nikon D70, which, while more expensive than the Digital Rebel, is IMHO a better buy, and can be found with kit lense for less than the 10D body.

C) Have you tried the firmware hack to unlock some of the 10D's features on the Digital Rebel?

reviving an old thread...i like the D70 and want to get one, but there will always be a place in my heart for film...there is just something about taking a roll of film and waiting to see what you get from it...kinda like opening gifts at christmas, sometimes you're thrilled and with other photos you are left disappointed because it wasn't what you wanted, i have a powershot A80 and a Nikon N65 and Pentax K1000. I love them all for different reasons and have taken breath taking photos with all

Back