• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where the heck did all my music go ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mycotopian

Somebody please help. I have been collecting and backup up music for the past 4 years and amassed over 60gb in music. Today I double clicked on the shortcut on my desktop and it said file not found. No big deal right. So I go to look for my computer \c:\my files\my music and it says file not found so I got to check my disk space to see if they were deleted or something but my free disk space hasn't changed at all. I tried searching for them but nothing is found. So basically the files have disappeared but the are still sitting on the drive because they are occupying space. Can somebody please help me recover these. I dont have hard copies for alot of these and even if I did the time it would take to do it again would be rediculous.

PLEASE HELP!!

Somebody please help. I have been collecting and backup up music for the past 4 years and amassed over 60gb in music. Today I double clicked on the shortcut on my desktop and it said file not found. No big deal right. So I go to look for my computer \c:\my files\my music and it says file not found so I got to check my disk space to see if they were deleted or something but my free disk space hasn't changed at all. I tried searching for them but nothing is found. So basically the files have disappeared but the are still sitting on the drive because they are occupying space. Can somebody please help me recover these. I dont have hard copies for alot of these and even if I did the time it would take to do it again would be rediculous. This is all in windows xp and the drive is a western digital SE 160gb that is only a few months old. The only thing I can think of is that I have reghosted this dated a few times without doing a fresh xp install so maybe the data has degraded.

PLEASE HELP!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Data does not degrade; Hard drives, however, can. Even new ones. It sounds like that's what's happening.

Disconnect your current drive (power also) from your machine, find/beg or borrow another HDD, install XP on it and then plug your 160G drive in. Try then to find your files. If the files are there, you should be able to back them up on 12DVDs or if the borrowed drive is large enough, you can back them up there. If the files are not there, you may be able to run checkdisk to fix things up provided there is minimal physical damage to the drive. Subsequent to checkdisk, you can run the WD datalifeguard tools to examine your drive and see just what's up.

The idea here is to backup your files the minute you're able to see them. You can then go about carefully analysing your drive to see whether it should be RMA'd or if it was a momentary, repairable glitch.

FWIW, I've never had to re-install XP unless I've swapped out a system drive or motherboard.

I read something on WD's site it seems like about issues with the larger capacity Special Edition drives partitions seeming to disappear or something to that fact. I thought there was a firmaware flash or BIOS or something similar that MAY help you. Search their support/download site and you will probably find it.

Cheers!!

Click Start -> Run and in the run box type cmd. You get a command prompt, then type: chkdsk /F /R

It will probably ask if you want chkdsk to run next time you reboot, answer yes, reboot and let it run.

If you still can't access your files, you may have a virus, a bad hard drive, or you accidently moved your MP3 folder.

Well I went out and bought a new 160gb drive and installed Easy Recovery Pro and for some weird reason it found the main directory (My Music) and all the subdirectories (Rock,Dance etc). but within the subdirectories most of the files are still gone. It only gave me 8gb back instead of 40-60 that I had. I also tried just hooking the old drive up as a slave but it did not see the missing folders Any other Ideas?

Basic, but assuming they are all MP3 files, have you ran a basic search for *.mp3 on the drive to ensure you aren't somehow confused, or you haven't errantly clicked some things into another directory?

Other than that, the above mentioned suggestions are great, and you should look into them further. Have you run checkdisk? Have you run WD's drive test utility?

I have already tried searching for *.mp3 on the drive and couldnt find it and I have ran chkdsk /f and it found no errors I am currently running the WD diagnostic but so far no lick.

Is'nt it really odd that I found all of the main directories but only some of the subdirectories??

sasser not found and it passed the extended WD test so i dont know what else to do at this point

Last edited:
thanks but I already tried Ontrack Easy CD Recovery. I guess I'll just have to throw this extra 160 into my xbox

Back