• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm down to 3 Thermaltakes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sa3atsky

Hi, I'm just unsure what powersupply of these 3 to get... Could you tell me through your experiences whats best? They all differ a bit in prices but not too much

W0033 410w *Black* POLO-12 Silent PurePower Series - Thermaltake
3258_big.jpg

I like all the stuff included, the fan controllers, the blue cathode light, its looks.. I especially like the "Intelligent cable sleeving" all the wires are all neat for airflow, and the SATA connectors..
1st of all I dont need the P4 heatsink included, AND it doesnt have an active PFC mentioned, does the PFC make that big-a-difference?

Thermaltake W0008R *PFC* 420 Watt Power Supply
ttpsu_big.jpg

Its cool, it works good.. I've seen good reviews, and its got the PFC..

W0014RUC-B *BLACK* 480W Xaser Pure Power - THERMALTAKE
xaserpsu480b_big.jpg

This one is ofcourse the most powerful, Looks good, but doesnt have either the PFC or the "Intelligent cable sleeving"

So help me pick out the best one, I bet most of you guys already have some of these powersupplies running at home, what do u think?

Dont get any of them...There are much better power supply's out there for the same or less money.

Fortron/Sparkle or Antec would be much better power supply's versus the Thermaltakes.

In my humble opinion of course !!!!

I agree with Hookem... spend your money on a Fortron or Antec TrueControl for overclocking. They are far, far better power supplies than the ones you listed.

Maaan are you guys serious? I thought thermaltakes were the #1 powersupplys out there! What about the sound-factor? Its very important for a powersupply to be silent, are the Fortron's and Antec's that silent?

What would you recommend me ? give me some model names in the $50-$90 range..

For serious overclocking and one of the best PSU's you can get, go for the Fortron 530W FSP530-60GNA:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0

Thermaltakes aren't anywhere near the best PSU's out there. The Fortrons and Antecs, however, have rock-solid rails (and they're adjustable, too, via pots inside the PSU on the Fortron, or from a 5.25" bay mountable control panel on an Antec 550w TrueControl PSU), provide good power, aren't noisy (the Fortron is quieter than the Antec from what I have read, I own a Fortron 530w myself and love it), and will keep up with your needs for awhile to come.

Check out some reviews through google of the Fortron and Antec PSU's... the Fortron 530w I own and mentioned above is currently $75 + $6.99 shipping at newegg. It's an awesome PSU that isn't loud, and if you have a window, it's pretty too as it has a nickel-plated exterior that is gold-silver in color and shiny as an added bonus :).

Guys
I'm getting a SATA drive with my system, do I have to have a PSU with SATA wires to connect it? does the Fortron have that available

Look, I'll tell you what I'm looking for in a powersupply:

1) Folded Cables , you know the "cable managment" thing
2) Good, Stable Wattage: 400watts and up
3) Active PFC, Its proven it helps PSU effecieny a lot
4) Works Silent and has controllable fans
4) Good looks and blue LED is always a nice adition

$50 to $90
Too much to ask?

Sa3atsky said:
Look, I'll tell you what I'm looking for in a powersupply:

1) Folded Cables , you know the "cable managment" thing
2) Good, Stable Wattage: 400watts and up
3) Active PFC, Its proven it helps PSU effecieny a lot
4) Works Silent and has controllable fans
4) Good looks and blue LED is always a nice adition

$50 to $90
Too much to ask?

Antec TruePower 430 or 550. It has self adjusting fans making the thing very quiet. It looks good and performs well at low noise levels. Don't get the Thermaltake when there are better and cheaper products.

I'm looking at the antecs but theyre too expensive... And the Fortron's availability is questionable, esp. in Canada
you got any other brands? model typeS?

The Antecs are too expensive? Was you $50-90 range Canadian? You can get an Antec 430 or 480 within that range in the US.

I would personally go with the Fortron 530 myself. It seems to be the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately, I don't know much about availability in Canada.

Noooooooooo I meant $50-90 american... Yeah I like the fortron too.. but it has none of the other features... other than all that power and wattage effeciency

PC Power & Cooling make the best power supply's on the planet.

1% line regulation...Active PFC on most models...But they are expensive.

The 530watt Fortron or the Antec TrueControl 550's are the way to fly in your price range.

The Antec breaking your budget and the Fortron easily falling below it.

The Fortrons when you really push them will crank up the fans and become not so silent.

The Antec is whisper quiet but also allows you to adjust the fan speed and each individual rail from the 5.25inch control bay...Starts gettin a little hot...Turn up the fan control that contols the fans in the power supply and any fans you have connected to the "Fan Only" molex connnectors.

At any rate either will run circles around the Thermaltake...It is not that they make bad power supplys...It is just for the money spent on one you can get a much more powerful supply for less or the same money.

Question:
If I have a SATA drive, it can only work if I have a SATA connector in my PSU.. is that not so?

Okay, I'm down to three.. Actually just to two, but I did want to see what you thought about the Zalman too.
Heres my new *REFINED* post with positives and negatives too :) :

17-104-968-04.JPG
Fortron Source FSP530-60GNA - $75
+ Solid consistent Efficiency under Stress
+ Two 80mm Fans
+ Gold-plated connectors
+ Silent operation, Good temps
+ SATA
+ GREAT PRICE!!!
- Bad Packaging

I'm * this close to getting this one! I mean, DAMN.. But I wanna hear what you gotta say..

antectrue330.jpg

Antec TruePower 550w - $108
+ Gold Plated Connectors
+ Sleeved ATX connector
+ Solid Efficiency under Stress
+ Good Cooling\Sound
+\- Not sure if theres SATA
- PRICEY

100545.jpg

Zalman 400W P4 Noiseless Power Supply MFN ZM400A-APF - $80
+ Practically Silent (25dB's)
+ Cool Looking Black Powersupply
+ Velcro strips for cable tidying
- Not quite powerful enough
- No SATA Support

you dont need SATA power connectors, I have a SATA HD and I can plug in any PSU to it. SATA HD's take both SATA power connectors and regular MOLEX connectors. My advice would be to get the Fortron 530. You save about $30 and its just as good, and in my personal opinion, better. Oh and how can "bad packaging" be a negative for the Fortron? lol.

Last edited:
..that was the answer I was looking for,
But hey yeah, the forton 530 is the best PSU period, strange how I never heard about this great company before.. Some manufacturers should advertise their products better ;)

Thermaltake has a 560W one with PFC, true sata cables, cable sleeving, and all the good stuff for about $100 at newegg.com
I haven't bought it yet but I've seen alot of good reveiws

Back