• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sorin

Normally I'd research this myself, but this summer I am so short on time that I can't even get everything done, so can I get some thoughts, opinions, suggestions, etc?

I would like a better power supply. I currently have a 350w Antec power supply. SL350 or something. What I like about is that it has two fans. One fan is on the underside of the power supply such that it sits right over the CPU and helps to exhaust air. I'd like my next psu to have this.

Here's my system:

Antec P160 case: One 120mmx25mm adjustable enermax intake fan in the front, identical fan for exhaust in the back.
Mobile 2500xp Barton @ 2.2 GHz (11x200) (SP-97 heat sink with 92mm Panaflo)
2 x 120GB Western Digital hard drivers (8mb, 7200rpm)
CD burner/DVD reader (one drive)
GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Abit NF7-S (2.0) motherboard
512MB OCZ 400MHz RAM

I'd like a power supply with two fans as I said above. Something that will more than handle the power draw of the stuff in my system. Something stable, reliable, clean.

Thanks.

The general consensus is that the best power supplies are usually those made by Fortron and Sparkle. Also you might want to look at Antec, Enermax or Hiper PSUs. I have a 520W Hiper PSU and it performs pretty well, and I have 2 CPUs, 2 sticks RAM, 3 hard Drives, 2 optical drives, a few fans, and about 3 PCI cards and a Ti4200 AGP card.

My rails are usually no lower than 4.95v on 5v, 3.28v on 3.3v and 12.10 on 12v.

Sorin said:
What I like about is that it has two fans. One fan is on the underside of the power supply such that it sits right over the CPU and helps to exhaust air. I'd like my next psu to have this.
Personally I've always thought that this was a terrible idea.
Why subject a heat producing component to pre-heated air as a cooling solution?

Okay, another power supply question, but it's related; as if I have a problem with my current one (aforementioned SL350 Antec) I'd like to iron it out with whatever power supply I end up getting.

Attached is an MBM5 readout of my voltages. My +3.3, +5, and +12 are always like this, they're under. Whereas I've seen people talking about their computers and showing images and stuff where they are all at least even, or over. Whereas mine are always under. WTF? Current system is in my sig. ANy problems here or is this normal?

mbm5SS.gif

Thise rails look acceptable as long as there are no stability issues, although the lower than spec rails are probably due to the PSU only being 350W, and your system is probably using quite a lot of power.

Okay, so I had to be assed to research it myself, so what do you think of a 480w Antec True Power? Will that power my system ok? (system in sig)

also I would never use MBM5 to tell you what your voltages are since it is always off... If you would like to know what your true voltages are then I would buy a multimeter so you can measure your voltages yourself

Back