• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K6-3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The chip to look for actually is a K6-2+ or K6-3+... Tigerdirect.com has them. They're meant to be mobile chips and as such they run at lower voltage and can be overclocked further than a standard K6 series chip.

SickBoy

SickBoy said:
The chip to look for actually is a K6-2+ or K6-3+... Tigerdirect.com has them. They're meant to be mobile chips and as such they run at lower voltage and can be overclocked further than a standard K6 series chip.

SickBoy

Before you commit to the "+" series of CPU, make sure that your motherboard will support it. I know that on an FIC VA 503+ motherboard, (and I believe the 2013 as well) you will have to reflash your BIOS with a BETA version, and FIC does not "officially" support these CPU's. Once past that hurddle though, the K6-2+ / K6III+ CPUs run well given the older technolgy.

Keep in mind that these CPU'S default Vcore is 2.0, I've run them as high as 2.5. Make sure that you have adequate cooling, most socket A hsf's will fit provided that you have enough clearence around the CPU.

For your information, if you happen to have an FIC board, the BIOS you'll be looking for is "JE4330". This upgrade is burried deep in the FIC website and is a bear to find.

Good Luck!

Back