• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmwbaxter

I am looking to upgrade my sig rig. Budget is $800-1000 CAD. Not enough for a full system so I was looking at 5900X or 5800X3D along with 16 or 32GB of RAM to go along with it. Hoping the upgrade will get me another 3-4 years.

I would wait 1-2 months as the new AMD will be released soon. X670E motherboards are already listed on most vendor sites. I think you don't need a 12-core CPU while the new 8-cores will be probably cheaper than the 5900X/5800X3D ... but you will need to spend additional money for the motherboard. Good 32GB DDR4 will cost you not so significantly less than 32GB ~DDR5-6000.
Think that the current AMD generation is already on the market for 2-3 years. If you want it to live some more, then I would still wait and get a 2nd hand 5900X/5950X as I bet that many people will sell them for half price in 2-3 months.

This is the RAM in my Ryzen system. It's 32GB 3600 Cas16 & when I plugged it in & turned on XMP it just worked.

I would wait 1-2 months as the new AMD will be released soon. X670E motherboards are already listed on most vendor sites. I think you don't need a 12-core CPU while the new 8-cores will be probably cheaper than the 5900X/5800X3D ... but you will need to spend additional money for the motherboard. Good 32GB DDR4 will cost you not so significantly less than 32GB ~DDR5-6000.
Think that the current AMD generation is already on the market for 2-3 years. If you want it to live some more, then I would still wait and get a 2nd hand 5900X/5950X as I bet that many people will sell them for half price in 2-3 months.
I might wait and save some more, hopefully be able to get cpu, mobo and ram for $1200. If not I will look for a used 5900X.
This is the RAM in my Ryzen system. It's 32GB 3600 Cas16 & when I plugged it in & turned on XMP it just worked.
Thanks, memory was an issue on my initial build so I will check this out if I go this route.

Upgraded to the rig in sig and after some benchmarks... turns out to be about twice as much performance. :thup:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-01 122711.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-01 122711.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, those Cinebench scores are huge. :thup:

You'll be good for a while and hopefully have an easy upgrade path as DDR5 RAM & CPUs improve. Not to mention the PCIe gen 5 for a new NVME once they become a thing.

First PCIe 5.0 SSDs can be a bit disappointing. I mean higher sequential performance but not really higher random ... so about the same as you see now when you set RAID0 on 2 PCIe 4.0 SSD. There was also news about higher temps. At least, this is what we could see from the early manufacturer "leaks". I would wait a bit or just read some more before purchasing.

These new AMD are somehow satisfying. They are not really beating Intel, but still feel better.

Back