• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SL6WK - 4.012 on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rayik

3.0C SL6WK - 4.012 on air

Got a new SL6WK 3.0C from new egg. Shipped on 7/22/04 from their Newark NJ location.

Batch: Q401A433, pack date 3/16/04 from Malaysia (also says version #:C30419-011 on the box). Default voltage is 1.475 (max voltage listed on box is 1.550). 30 capacitor

MB is abit ic-7.
HS is SP-94 w/ a 120 mm panaflo on adaptor (low speed - 68 cfm @ 30 db).
Northbridge cooled by Zalman ZM-NB323 (old one - flat on top) w/ 25mm Antec fan
Memory is Mushkin 3200 :"2-2-2" special (probably wrong memory for this oc)

With bios vcore at 1.60 will do 267 fsb (4012 !). 5:4 divider - Memory has to be 2.5-3-3-8 though (213).
Some sandra benches -
math: 12,475 / 5078-8844
cpu multimedia 30,889 / 43,871
cache & memory bandwidth - 11,354 mbs / 15.4
Crashes w/ 3Dmark03

Very stable at 3902 (!!)
vcore in bios is 1.550. However MBM and Sandra show vcore as 1.520.
260 fsb (3902) with 5:4 divider and ram at 2-2-2-7 (208)
temps reported by mbm are 50 idle and 55 load (though I read abit ic-7 reports 10 high - not sure if true)

Runs stable. Passes Sandra stress test done at high priority on a repeat loop. Will run 3Dmark03 no problems.

Some sandra bences -
math: 10,386 / 4943-8592
cpu multimedia 30,086 / 42,631
cache bandwidth - combined 11,405 mbs / speed 14.4
3dmark03 - 6,513 (w 9800pro flashed to xt speeds)

Still playing with it. Any suggestions as to setting would be appreciated. I'll run prime when I figure out where to run it every day. I'm leaning towards 3902.

Last edited:
well it looks like you know what you are doing! I have the same chip but i haven't gotten over 248 with my memory. I am trying to get some new stuff this weekend so I can go higher. What kind of motherboard are you using? is it an 875 or 865 chipset? Don't forget to turn off the memory acceleration features.

What kind of motherboard are you using? is it an 875 or 865 chipset? Don't forget to turn off the memory acceleration features.

abit ic7 - which uses the 875 chipset

memory acceleration features settings:

auto
auto
7 (as recommended by mushkin at their site for abit ic7)
disabled
disabled

veryhumid - your sig mentions pc4000 memory. Isn't that rated to run 250 fsb? Make sure you bump up your vcore in bios to 2.8. My bh6 muschkin's won't run past 203 with default 2.6 vcore. I was thinking of getting pc4000 or pc4200 (266 rated) memory and trying 1:1 divider, but don't know if there is enough performance gain for the cost.

Last edited:
The IC7 really flies with voltmods... if you wana get that 4.0 stable thats what you'll need. You have a nice chip there, it is the least you can do ;)

~t0m

rayik said:
abit ic7 - which uses the 875 chipset

memory acceleration features settings:

auto
auto
7 (as recommended by mushkin at their site for abit ic7)
disabled
disabled

veryhumid - your sig mentions pc4000 memory. Isn't that rated to run 250 fsb? Make sure you bump up your vcore in bios to 2.8. My bh6 muschkin's won't run past 203 with default 2.6 vcore. I was thinking of getting pc4000 or pc4200 (266 rated) memory and trying 1:1 divider, but don't know if there is enough performance gain for the cost.

yeah it is rated to 250 but it's not happening. I want to build a second system, So I am going to try some 4200 to see if I just had bad memory. I won't bump my vcore to 2.8 ;) however my vdimm is at 2.8 :D I feel it is my memory because I can get all the way up to 235-237 on stock volts but then I have to add cpu voltage like crazy to get higher. Anyway nice clock! It seems you have picked the right options to max your oc.

I won't bump my vcore to 2.8 however my vdimm is at 2.8

Oops, I've edited my post. Thanks.

I feel it is my memory because I can get all the way up to 235-237 on stock volts but then I have to add cpu voltage like crazy to get higher.

Are you sure it's memory. Did you try really relaxing your memory timings or even 5:4 divider? That should not make it a not a memory problem. My experience has been that all cpus hit a wall. That wall is reached when adding more vcore does nothing to the oc and just results in more heat being generated.

Don't know if it will help, but I noticed your bios in your sig is 1.5. Abit posted bios 1.6 in May. It's here: ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/bios/ic7-max3/ic7p16.exe

Anyway nice clock! It seems you have picked the right options to max your oc.

Thank you. This is a nice chip. In the cpu database only 2 of the 14 4Ghz ones are on air (both w/ sp-94s). The rest are vapochilled or water cooled. It's the luck of the draw and am I ever lucky with this chip.

Last edited:
your 3 dmark03 score is indicative of major performance issues at your current settings...6000 ish? with an x800?

theELVISCERATOR said:
your 3 dmark03 score is indicative of major performance issues at your current settings...6000 ish? with an x800?

Oops, another typo, and a big one. I have a 9800pro (not 800pro). I've edited (again) and fixed this.

I've only run 3dmark03 to see if it will crash or run through to the end. I haven't looked at any 3dmark database. Does 6000 seem out of line for a 9800pro

Zebbo said:
You really shouldn't use 1.6 BIOS with IC7-MAX3, 1.5 overclocks better and is also as way "faster" than 1.6.

if your card isnt overclocked 6000 is about right my rig is very similar to yours and i was able to nudge 7000 on my 9800

I would like to see some benches that back up your statement...never heard of a slow bios..LOL..

my ocs have been unaffected by bios updates..if anything it gets a little faster/stable...

If thats stable, that is very nice. There seem to be a lot of P4s hitting 4 Ghz these days.

wel i anna see some pics of your rig and some cpu ones please??? although im sure your telling truth just incase? :D.

what diff is there between 1.5 bios and 1.6 bios???
Phil

PHILIP1193 said:
wel i anna see some pics of your rig and some cpu ones please??? although im sure your telling truth just incase? :D.

If that's addressed to me, I'll post some cpuz and sandra shots latter tonight when I hook the computer up to the net.

I'm not sure how to post pictures on the forum, if I have to I'll just post them as attachments.

rayik

Dam nice OC you got thier.I got a pretty good 2.8 but ican just barely get a 1 ghz Oc out of it.I just cant believe you got that high with Pc3200 of anykind.DAm lucky i guess.My adata does 270 no problem with 2.9 volts But dam thats one crazy oc you got going .I wonder what you could do with some AData DDR600

Sorry about the delay in getting some shots up. I had some on the hard drive but the comuter was down for a while. I'm still playing with the case fans (how many and where to put them). In putting in one of the case fans I did something wrong and the 120mm fan on the sp-94 stopped working. Turns out I somehow unplugged the wire connector from where it plugs into the fan motor. Took quite a while to fix. Had to take the 120mm fan off the adaptor, plug it in and put it back on. Thank goodness I did not have to take the adaptor off. It's held onto the sp-94 with wire cables that are tied up and hot glued. There's also a 4" L-bracket tied into the case which helps support the weight of the sp-94 / 120mm fan.

Here's some quick cpuz shots

4.012 ghz:

4ghz.jpg

3.9 ghz:

3.jpg

3.75 ghz:

91b64e16.jpg

I'll get pictures of the sp-92 / 120 mm and the northbridge cooling later and put them up.

I'll also get some sandra screen shots and put then up latter.

The pictures I posted above didn't look to good on my browser.

Here's the same shots but with just the cpuz window cut out from them:

4ghzcpuzonly.jpg

596c7b5f.jpg

cpuzonly375.jpg

it's just because xp resizes them to fit in the window, pics are fine, just too big :D mouse over the picture and then don't move the mouse until you see an icon pop up in the bottom right in explorer, then click on it to view it full size. 120mm pics plz! ;)

Back