• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blame the computer games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nloter

Registered
I don't know what proportion of people in this forum are from the UK; anyway in today's Uk newspaper the "Daily Mail", the front page headline is "Murder by playstation". I know this is a PC games forum, but the principle of the computer game is the same.

The summary of the article: 17 year old boy murders friend with claw hammer and knife. After this happens the parents discover said psychopath was "obessed" with the game "Manhunt".

The article then goes on to describe how the 17 year old was a general school failure, and how he hung around with gangs and did drugs, etc, etc. From the description of him and his character the article gives it also appears he was something of a sociopath who didn't relate to other people very well.

In spite of all the other factors that would make this boy more likely to kill someone, the finger is inevitably pointed at the computer game as responsible. There is even talk of launching corporate manslaughter charges against the makers and distributors of the game.

Now ain't that just typical.

Sure. Anything for a quick buck.

"Yes your honor, I would like to sue McDonalds because I am a fat *******."

Or...

"I would like to sue the pool company because I am a irresponsable parent and was too stupid to put unattended infant + deep water together."

I'm sorry, but things like that just irritate me to no end. I mean, companies are soon going to have to force their buyers to sign wavers saying if they play this game and ending up commiting a serious crime they can't blame it on the game. And even movies for that matter. *Cough*Gone in 60 seconds*Cough*

Perhaps the game did influence him, but it can't be said how a particular game will influence everyone. Perhaps due to his mental state it did influence him. But yet I play UT2k4 and I wouldnt even think about killing someone UT2k4 style, athough I have to admit flak cannons and lightening rifles are kinda hard to come by... ;).

My favorite thing to do in GTA3 is to beat as many hookers as possible with a baseball bat until the cops show up, at which point I gun down as many cops as I can while driving at full speed through the city streets weaving through traffic and blowing red lights and causing car wrecks, stopping only to hijack another car right before my previously stolen car blows up from massive frame and gasoline tank damage.

I have absolutely no urge to pick up any of my baseball or golf equipment and beat anyone, nor do I have any urge to drive wildly through the streets, wrecking cars, hijacking others, shooting at cops, et al.

Am I one of the very few or even abnormal game players in this world?

Doubtful. :)

Puhleaze!

It wasn't the prople being mean to him at school
it wasn't the lack of parental concern
It wasn't the school councelors lack of efforts
It wasn't the basic gutting of society
It's the game... always that evil game that makes people go nuts.

Suing the game company and such is just a way of saying "I'm too much of a Pu$$y to admit that I failed as a parent or other guardian of this child, so I am going to go after anything/anyone else I can to try and point the blame off of me and onto someone else"

no wonder the kid went crazy... If my parents were that dense, I'd gone nuts with a hammer too!
Actually, EFF The hammer idea... I had access to 9mm pistols, a 30 aut 6 with 20X scope, old lever action 20-20, a 22 pistol, numerous 22 riffles, etc, etc (yeah, I'm a texan :clap: ). I grew up around weapons and I always knew how to use them. I was tortured in school as a child, I was an outcast... but I didn't go nuts! I had a loving family that helped keep me sane and prepared me for life!

Sorry, This sort of junk just TICKS ME OFF :mad:

Last edited:
Society finds it easier to blame a violent video game rather than the person. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore and it's sick. This kid obviously has a mental condition that was more than likely present before he ever played Manhunt and the game just added fuel to the fire. Why blame the game when it's the kid who had a problem in the first place?

pcgirl said:
Society finds it easier to blame a violent video game rather than the person. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore and it's sick. This kid obviously has a mental condition that was more than likely present before he ever played Manhunt and the game just added fuel to the fire. Why blame the game when it's the kid who had a problem in the first place?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Update: One quite big computer store franchise has already taken the game off the shelves... :(

why, why do the parent always trying to find something to blame on , why....

Easier to point your finger at someone else then yourself don't you agree? There are a lot of people that don't have a clue. Common sense just is not on their side. What is practicle to you & I may not be practicle for another person.

The human race is doomed to stupidity. The world was thought to be completely flat at one point, until a human stumbled upon a hill. But this is what everyone believed, because this is what they were told & most just believe what they are told.

There you have it in a nutshell.

Back