• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of my laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nephewkp

I was looking around for a few weeks and I settled on the laptop in my sig. I am going to build it myself as soon as the part arrive tomorrow and monday. The whole rig cost $1400...I think that it was a fair price since dell and HP are charging about 25% more for similar models and theirs are no where near the 6.25 lbs that this one weighs.

Very nice. same model screen i have one mine the SXGA+ is really nice and clear. nice video card too. i have the same speed combo drive it burns pertty fast 3 to 4 min's and only 8x dvd i thought it would drag but it dont plays T2 extream with no problem

have fun with your new toy when you get it

I'll be sure to take pics of the build process. I just got the tracking info today...everything will be here monday. (good thing DOOM 3 doesn't come till a few days later or I would go nuts having to go to work knowing that the awesomeness of DOOM can't come with me.)

I'll post benchies also when I get to them.

Your laptop is pretty nice for $1400..I just got myself a new laptop few weeks ago for $1280

Acer Travelmate 290
Pentium M Centrino 1.5
15 inch TFT (btw what's the huge difference about TFT and SXGA+?)
Radeon mobility 9700 64 mb video card
256x2 ram pc2100
802.1g built in wireless card
40 gig of hd space at 4200 rpm
cd burner/dvd combo drive

your laptop has better memory, better vid card, better hd, and better screen for just a bit more..lol damn you :(

Got it built!!! Benchies will be up soon with screenshots (maybe later today). Took a few picks but camera batt died and I didn't want to wait for another charge (sorry). I'll have everything up tomorrow.

nice laptop. and yes you can build barebone laptops. theres just certain components you cant do yourself unless you know how to put them together. because even the video card is built onboard correct?
anyways i was looking at getting a dell, they have a nice one about that same price with a wuxga ultra brite screen =P

Well, here is a screenshot of some benchies. It is about all that I can do now since I am at work.

laptopbench.JPG

Overclocked GPU to 490/240 (getting close to 9600XT speeds! :p ) and disabled throttling w/AC. Hope to have new benchies soon. I forgot to copy my pics of the lappy so those won't be posted til tomorrow maybe.

Okay here are some pics. Sorry for the crappy quality, my camera is 5ux0r.

Picture 1.jpg

Here is the box that everything arrived in. Yay for great packaging.
Picture 2.jpg

Everything that was in the box. I thought that it was interesting to note that the keyboard came in a seperate box rather than being attached to the lappy already (perhaps interchangable keyboards are available).
Picture 3.jpg

Picture 15.jpg

Picture 17.jpg

And as I explained, I had camera problems so I couldn't take pics of the actual build process. Here is the final result none the less. Of course I used AS5 on the core....and everything else was easy enough to figure out (which is good becuase the manual doesn't include assembly instructions).

As you can see, it is a thinand relatively light notebook which is suprising due to it being a moderate gaming computer(bonus). Doom 3 arrives today so it will be interesting to see how the notebook holds up.

Last edited:
Back