• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Batboy's mosfet ramsinks ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

Batboy, I have seen several posts mentioning your method of sinking the mosfets. I have seen a couple of pictures but cannot figure out exactly what the method is. Searches have come up fruitless or overwhelming. I am going to be running a Prescott on an AI7 so I think it is a subject I need to read up on. Any help on the link?

Thanks Batboy, I see now what you are talking about. For some dumb reason, I had always thought the mosfets were the tall round thing. Capacitors aren't they? I will look at the layout of the AI7 when I get it and sink up everything in sight.
Deathstar, you'll like this. I switched out a m/b for someona awhile back. Old board was an AD11 and was just full of black heatsinks screwed on to things. I knew I took them all off for something. Now where is my Dremel?

Thanks guys

Mosfets are squarish flat things, usually black. If I remember right, the AI7 has a bunch of them and they are a little smaller than most of the ones on my IC7. The taller cylinder things are indeed caps.

Pntgrd said:
Thanks Batboy, I see now what you are talking about. For some dumb reason, I had always thought the mosfets were the tall round thing. Capacitors aren't they? I will look at the layout of the AI7 when I get it and sink up everything in sight.
Deathstar, you'll like this. I switched out a m/b for someona awhile back. Old board was an AD11 and was just full of black heatsinks screwed on to things. I knew I took them all off for something. Now where is my Dremel?

Thanks guys
i keep a box of scrapped heatsinks and old ones ive scavenged.
they always come in handy and nothing is worse than having to go out and pay $15 for a new cpu heatsink just to cut up.

a tip on putting them on.
the ones you buy will have thermal sticky tape and apply like that.
id take that junk off and use arctic silver epoxy.
and when useing it id cover the middle and edges with reguler heatsink compound and just epoxy the corners of the mosfets.that way if you need to rma the mobo or sell it and want the heatsinks they come off rather easy.

I was looking at the ones from Sidewinder. From what Batboy says, I may need 2 packages. I already have all the AS stuff. Oh well, it's only $$$. I was wanting to get a touch stronger fan for my SP94 anyway. I have the 48cfm Panaflo now, I think I will step up to the 53cfm. Or should I go higher? I do have a controller laying around somewhere. You guys have me scared about the heat of the Prescott.

Yeah, those Microcool heatsinks are not exactly cheap, but they seem to work quite nicely.

If you have a fan speed controller that you can use, perhaps consider getting the 92mm Tornado fan.

perhaps consider getting the 92mm Tornado fan

I would have except my controller is a 3-pin setup and the Tornado or the Delta are 4-pin. I went with the Sanyo-Delki (sp?). Wow things can add up fast in that place. $60.00 later, here I am. I picked up a Southsink, 2 of the kits, 12 mosfet sinks should be enough, and went ahead and got the ramsinks for my X800 that is on the way. Now if the Rev4 Silencer would just show up, I think I will be done.

ocing these prescotts takes a certain breed of ocer no doubt.
there is alot of preperation and worry involved with parts failure.but given the respect and work invested it pays off alot more in the end.

hey you should be me and have to buy a modded prommy as just a normal prommy has been shown to be pushed to its limits of failure under highley oced prescotts. no joke!
i wanted one anyhow and was never needed by any means,im just to addicted to ocing to not go this route lol

pntgrd did you say your sticking with the ai7?
i have a ic7 max3 coming and once i feel its 100% usable and safe i will be selling my current ic7 in the classifeds.i can give you a heads up prior to listing if you like?

i can give you a heads up prior to listing if you like?
Please do. Then I can move the AI7 to my video box to replace a BD7-II Raid. And then I will have to move the 2 Raptor 36's along with it as I cannot run my 2 80g WD-SE's on SATA. Now I will have to buy 2 more Raptor 74's for the IC7. Better start saving now ;)

Pntgrd said:
Please do. Then I can move the AI7 to my video box to replace a BD7-II Raid. And then I will have to move the 2 Raptor 36's along with it as I cannot run my 2 80g WD-SE's on SATA. Now I will have to buy 2 more Raptor 74's for the IC7. Better start saving now ;)
i could trade it for a x800xt know whare i can find one lol j/k

lets see how the ai7 handles it tho first.
but yes ill pm you a heads up first before posting it in the classifieds.

Back