• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artic Silver 5, Does it help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Ive had AS5 on my processor before and when I modded my Zalman 7000CU it was like dust and applied some temporary thermal paste until I got AS5. I was puzzled that I can bearly keep my 3.43ghz and I thought it could be AS5, does it really help your overclock? I just applied it and I know I have to wait about 30 days for it to settle. Does it really help though? Thanks.

I think you only have to wait 100-200 hours depending on how good the heatsink is. And make sure to shut the computer down every couple days to let it cool down to room temperature. To answer your question, it might help ;)

Arctic Silver is the best thermal paste, but it's not miracle stuff. I've found that in about 3 days of heavy use the AS settles in good. I typically get at least a couple degrees cooler temps with AS than other thermal paste. It does dry up over time. I usually reapply about every 6 months on overclocked computers.

A couple of degrees cooler probably won't allow 100 MHz more overclock. It might allow anther FSB or two if you were borderline with temps. Mainly it just helps run a little cooler which helps longevity over a long period of time.

If your CPU is right on the edge, maybe it can help a notch or two. I'm still using AS3 because my syringe isn't empty yet but it does make a few degrees difference compared to white grease...

Back