• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VHS to DVD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

What are my options for getting VHS movies onto DVDs? It doesn't necessarily have to involve a computer. I'd like as many options are possible.

Basically, I just want to back up a lot of VHS movies I got laying around.

Thanx in advance,

-YB

You just want to back them up or you want to back them up to DVD? Cause there are other options then backing up to DVD.

Looking at your Video Card in your sig (which really looks like it needs to be updated) I would say buy an All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro. It has great capture qualities. Along with being able to back up your VHS tapes to hard and then to DVD, you'll have a great gaming card when the archiving is done.

Dont they have DVD players for tvs that can record tv stuff now? If they do you could use one of those to hit player on your VCR and then record on your DVD player.

or

You could get a capture card for pretty cheap and just hit play on your VCR and have your capture card capture it then burn that onto a DVD with a DVD burner.

or

Buy a TIVO and record em all onto there. They can hold quite a bit of stuff and almost everyone who owns them LOVES them.

Last edited:
I like the All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro. But there are several TV capture cards out there that work well. Haupage makes some of the best. There are set-top boxes with VCR/DVD recorders. You put in your VHS tape and DVD-R and press some buttons. Your local electronics shop will have 'em. Best Buy, etc.

There is a thing caled Dazzle which i used...u plud ur VCR into an adapter type thing which connects to ur computer and then u play the VCR and record what ever u want...it even works for a DVD plater

MrBrian has listed most of the options for you. I'd still have to recommend going with the All-In-Wonder though. It would be like to major upgrades for you, Video card and Video capture.

Thanx guys. I know I need to upgrade my vid card (especially for D3 and HL2) , and I think going with a gfx card with capture capabilities seems like the way to go. That way I can edit the video if necessary. What kind of software will I need to handle the capture input?

-YB

If all you are going to do is back it up to DVD you just need to make sure the capture software is able to capture the video in DVD compliant MPEG2 format. Then you should be able to just burn it.

Back