• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8E giving weird temp readings randomly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strogg

Registered
i'll make this simple:

Pentium 4 2.8E at 1.5 real-world voltage clocked at 3575mhz
Abit IS7 original
MBM 5.3.7 latest version

MBM will show that the CPU is at 85C, alarm goes on, and the computer just turns itself off after a while. Now, I know it's pretty much impossible that the CPU can go that high because A: the water is flowing, B: waterblock is mounted securely, C: radiator air is warm as usual. The processor doesn't tend to go above 45C at any given day.

now, the 85C thing happens randomly (once every day or two), mostly while there's cpu intensive stuff going on (a few times, though, it just did it out of the blue). Is this due to mbm bug that will never be fixed, instability, mobo gone bad, or cpu breakdown? any thoughts? thanks

Strogg said:
i'll make this simple:

Pentium 4 2.8E at 1.5 real-world voltage clocked at 3575mhz
Abit IS7 original
MBM 5.3.7 latest version

MBM will show that the CPU is at 85C, alarm goes on, and the computer just turns itself off after a while. Now, I know it's pretty much impossible that the CPU can go that high because A: the water is flowing, B: waterblock is mounted securely, C: radiator air is warm as usual. The processor doesn't tend to go above 45C at any given day.

now, the 85C thing happens randomly (once every day or two), mostly while there's cpu intensive stuff going on (a few times, though, it just did it out of the blue). Is this due to mbm bug that will never be fixed, instability, mobo gone bad, or cpu breakdown? any thoughts? thanks

Got to cool the PLL's with heatsinks, a GOOD nothbridge cooler will help out immense.. my asus board stock runs good. Guess im lucky, as it overvolts a half volt... ;)

PWM's are actively cooled, and the nb... well, it's not hot, and i've had that thing running at nearly 300mhz before this CPU, but now it's only at 255mhz. Problem just started last week, 2 months after i got the 2.8E.

I thought about it some more, and the motherboard bios is probably sensing the 85C or else the computer wouldn't just turn off at the alarm. I don't want to replace my CPU again, but if it's a mobo problem... what do you think?

Back