• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3Ghz same as 3.2Ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

I was just wondering are some 3.2 the same as 3.0 just with 1 extra multiplier?
Cheers jenko overclockin noob.

For the most part, all processors (of the same class) are the same, except for the Multiplier. They have the same exact die, but with a different multiplier. Usually a lower clocked chip means that it wasn't able to handle the higher speed, so it was rated lower. Sometimes this is the case, sometimes it isn't. But overall, the only real difference is the multiplier.

It depends. A 3.0C and 3.2C both use the northwood core, and just have a different multiplier. A 3.0E and 3.2E use the Prescott core and have a different multiplier.

A 3.0E and 3.2C will differ in both core type and multiplier.

Thanks, so say genericaly a 3.2c isnt rated any more then a 3.0c Mhz wise just 1 extra multipler.
So in theory with a new chip a 3.0 overclocked to 3.2 is no over worked except the fsb is higher?
How about a precott;)

The Prescott cores are the same if you compare the same steppings. The difference at this time with the Prescott is most readily available 3.0E's are the older C0 stepping and most readily available 3.2E's are the newer D0 stepping, so in this case there is some advantage to going with the 3.2E.

With Northwoods, there isn't much difference between the 3.0C and 3.2C. Intel sometimes speed bins the cores, so in other words the better cores sometimes gets used in the more expensive higher speed CPUs, but there really isn't much difference.

Look at my signature. I have a 3.0C @ 3.8 gig and a 3.2C at 3.9 gig. The 3.0C is running at slightly higher FSB and higher DDR speed, so the performance difference is almost insignificant even though the 3.2C is running at a little higher CPU clock speed..

jenko said:
Thanks, so say genericaly a 3.2c isnt rated any more then a 3.0c Mhz wise just 1 extra multipler.
So in theory with a new chip a 3.0 overclocked to 3.2 is no over worked except the fsb is higher?
How about a precott;)

A 3.0 overclocked to 3.2GHz will perform slightly better than a P4-3.2 at stock, because the FSB is higher.

Great replies, what i have is a 3.0e,stepping 3,revision CO i was just thinking maybe my core is the same as a 3.2e Co except the 1 multiplier.

So basicly overclocking my 3.0e to 3.2e wont do any harm except the 13.33 raise in the fsb is it harmfull?thanks jenko the noob.
And my ram can take the raise prime95 stable!

O/Cing from 3.0 to 3.2 is a no brainer. As long as you don't overvolt it or overheat it, there is no problem. Do it!

batboy said:
O/Cing from 3.0 to 3.2 is a no brainer. As long as you don't overvolt it or overheat it, there is no problem. Do it!

Thanks, set my fsb to 214 and have had prime95 running twice as i have HT for the past couple of hours and will do all night,then 2mora i will do the memory torture test all day and if it runs ok i will leave it at 3.2ghz :attn:
I wont a 100% safe system if all goes well should i 3.3? or change my mem divider and go for 3.4 stable :-/ jenko noobie :beer:

Back