• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Make a router box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

This was suggested to me to fix a problem

Another solution: Get an old P2 box and run it as a Windows router with Mcaffee installed, and have your own "private" network behind it in your room. They'll scan your router box, find mcaffee, move on.

Alright, I'm a total noob at this. How can I manage this? Keep in mind this is at a college, and only me is going to be on this network. What parts do I need, cables etc?

I have an old AMD 750mhz duron that I was thinking of using. Or maybe using.

If your at a college then just use there network, it will be far more secure most likly , if you really want to then check out smoothwall linux, i use it on a 400mhz celeron and it runs just fine.

Ok its very simple to do with windows. Well install windows something like 2000 or XP cuz of stability. You will also need 2 network cards. Then do whats called bridging the connections. Boom, there you go. Now basically the box is a switch with Mcaffe installed on it.

I did this with a PIII in my room at home. It picks up network via 108mbps Dlink wifi setup and then my comps in my room are on a wired switch. Plus I dont trust the other comps in my house so I got Norton on it and everything. Mine also runs extra duty as a fileserver/router/webserver. I used smoothwall but you cant run software on it so it wouldnt work in your case cuz you need mcaffe installed. Plus my mini network in my room lets me run folding rigs when I can, but power here in California is a rip so most folding rigs are down cuz of sky high power bills ($350 last month and no A/C usage, ugh).

Or if you want you can run proxy software on that box so only internet traffic runs through it.

Bridging the connections will not cause it to act like a router, and the scanner will be able to go right past the box-in-the-middle and see that your main computer isn't running McAfee. You need to have two NICs - one connected to the campus network, the other connected to your main computer - then enable Internet Sharing or whatever it is Windows calls its routing function.

Personally, I would recommend running a Linux distro made for routers, but if you're not comfortable with the command line, it'll probably be more trouble than it's worth.

but linux cant run mcafee.

Simple ICS will do, a pos windwos box with mcafee and ics enabled should do it.

Como said:
but linux cant run mcafee.

Simple ICS will do, a pos windwos box with mcafee and ics enabled should do it.

Uh... why do you need McAfee on the Linux box?

To keep it from catching Windows viruses?

His school is requiring Macafee. If he does not have it he can not log on to the network.

My advice is to use linux as the system that connects to the network because I am sure they have a way for people that use Linux to access the network:D

Back