• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing ati drivers for mandrake 10.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Absolute Zero

i am trying to install the ati propreitary driver for my x800 pro. however, i can't find the kernel source. please tell me how so i can enable hardware acceleration. thank you!

Hey worse, some to worse you should install the hardware and then go through a rebuild on the MDk 10.0 installation. I had basically the same problem with a Dlink TXD 690 NIC and I installed the hardware and reloaded MDK 10.0. It recognized it immediately, no added software for driver installation needed.

the rpm for the base mdk kernel is on the third cd, just stick it in, browse, its name is kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk.i586.rpm its been a while since ive done it, but if it throws any errors, go through rpmdrake (its under system utilities or something like that, as i said, its been a little while) and it will also install the secondary packages needed with it.

i think i just found something important on ati's faqs.

Q6:
What Linux kernel version is needed for this driver?
A6:
Version 2.4 of the Linux kernel is required for this driver. This kernel version is installed as standard in many current Linux distributions. Support for the newer version 2.6 kernel is under development and should be available in a future release.

so, if someone has gotten ati drivers to install on the 2.6 kernel, please let me know.

ok here's my attempt to install the drivers.

[root@lee-11-150 Executables]# rpm -Uh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.11.1.i386.rpm
########################################### [100%]
*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
*** WARNING ***
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware acclerated
OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
*** Error: no kernel module build environment - please consult readme.
Installed: qt3 (gcc 3.2) based control panel application
===
ATI display drivers successfully installed
please run 'fglrxconfig' now
===
[root@lee-11-150 Executables]# bash check.sh
=====================================================================
ATI Technologies
=====================================================================
XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 is installed.

[root@lee-11-150 Executables]#

so it wants me to build my own custom kernel? linux noob, help is good.

Well, I can't help with Mandrake at all but I have gotten ATI cards (8500 and 9800) to run with a 2.6 kernel.

The 2.6 kernel stuff IS there, but since it is under development it is not even up to ATI's usual standard of reliability......lol

You may be able to manually build the kernel module is what the first part of that message is saying:
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.

Translated into english:
in a console/terminal session go to the /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod directory and run ./make.sh. (Makes the module.)
Then go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run ./make_install.sh to install the module you made.

Unfortunately, there is another line that I don't remember ever seeing:
*** Error: no kernel module build environment - please consult readme.

That may prevent it from compiling manually as well, and if you have the kernel sources installed, I have no suggestions for you.

Good luck, and send an email to ATI asking them to get some decent drivers out for linux: I do it every month or so. ;)

the 3.9.0 and up ati drivers supposedly support the 2.6 kernels, 3.9.0 did for me at least, my 8500 ran ut04 just fine in my stock-clocked main box (by fine, i mean about 30fps@800x600 low details, in windows the card only handled 1024x768 lowdetail with about the same fps). ive been fooling around with silverbox, trying to get mandrake10 to install on it (and trying to get other distos to like my 8500), but it hangs when it starts the Xserver after its little "loading program into memory" thing.

for that module thing look here

yeah, i gathered that from the error message, and i tried it, but it wouldn't work. i got this error message.

[root@lee-11-150 build_mod]# bash make.sh
ATI module generator V 2.0
==========================
initializing...
Error:
kernel includes at /usr/src/linux/include do not match current kernel.
they are versioned as ""
instead of "2.6.3-15mdk-i686-up-4GB".
you might need to adjust your symlinks:
- /usr/include
- /usr/src/linux
now i have no idea what symlinks are.

also, i installed the kernel source from the third mandrake 10 cd, the filename being kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk.i586.rpm

i am currently running mandrake update in hopes that there is an available patch.

Ok, the link that Chuckman posted talks about symlinks towards the bottom.

Basically, symlinks are similar to windows "shortcuts".

The problem may now be that the symlink to /usr/src/linux is still pointing to your OLD kernel or doesn't exist. Same thing with /usr/include.

I haven't really had that issue so I can only read and make semi-educated guesses from here on out. ;)

when i run the command ls -l, i get this message
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 16 15:18 ATI/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Aug 16 15:06 linux -> linux-2.6.3-7mdk/
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4096 Aug 16 15:05 linux-2.6.3-7mdk/
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Aug 14 14:08 RPM/
which is what i want, unless the fact that the linux -> line does not include the word source makes a difference.

i may be way off base, mostly because i'm a linux idiot, but i think that it's looking for the 2.6.3-15mdk-i686-up-4GB kernel when i have the 2.6.3-7mdk kernel.

ok, i found the kernel source rpm in update mandrake, but here's what happens now.
[root@lee-11-150 Executables]# rpm -Uh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.11.1.i386.rpm
*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
- creating symlink
- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel module
done.
Installed: qt3 (gcc 3.2) based control panel application
===
ATI display drivers successfully installed
please run 'fglrxconfig' now
===
[root@lee-11-150 Executables]# 3ddesk
Attempting to start 3ddesktop server.
3ddeskd: glXIsDirect failed, no Direct Rendering possible!
3ddeskd: Please configure hardware acceleration. Exiting.

so the installation works, but i can't do any direct rendering. STILL NO HARDWARE ACCELERATION!

no one at linuxforums.org can help me, but i did sign that petition to not buy another ati graphics card until they write better linux drivers.

Back