• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up My first ( REAL network )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekDRP

Disabled
I will be buying 3 ( medioker pc's ) around $400 each from tiger direct ( just for my main servers. ok here goes the questions.

1. I have a wireless router but the server pc's i will get have "wiredlan" built in. my router only has a few connections. Plus my xbox and ps2 )

2. how many KVM connectors do I get ???

3. windows xp pro can handle a small network easy ( using ssid ? ) in the router set up?

1)i dont see how this is a question...but if you really need to, get a hub/switch to plug your xbox/ps2 into, as well as any general usage computers...and upliunk it to the switch.

What are your servers for? if they are for heavy file transfer with eachother, you could put them on a seperate switch and uplink it...

Personally when i build my fileserver it will be on a seperate segment with my computer (as mine iwll do the msot traffic with the server) and it will uplink to the switch.

2) as many as you need? i wish i had one. They just allow you to controll 2 computers with the same Keyboard/Video(monitor)/Mouse

3)windwos 98 will handle a small network. if you have an like xp, thats good too.

Como the servers are for a few games i normaly play ( ut quake kj 1 2 and ja ) bf1942 so on . and the other server will be to stream music like at shoutcast for free )

thanks for the help i think.

ps i run winblows 2k pro . but for a network i heard it was hard to maniage with w2k pro ).

DerekDRP said:
...ps i run winblows 2k pro . but for a network i heard it was hard to maniage with w2k pro ).

I have no problem with the windows 2000 boxes on my network -- they play just fine with my XP boxes (btw is there a "pro" version of win 2k?). Though I don't think I'm entirely clear on what you mean by "handle a small network" as the way I read your first post your router should be assigning IPs, routing traffic, etc.

Anyway, I mainly justed wanted to suggest VNC as an alternative to purchasing a KVM (or worse KVM's). I was under the impression that KVM's are none too cheap, where as VNC is free.

Como said:
2) as many as you need? i wish i had one. They just allow you to controll 2 computers with the same Keyboard/Video(monitor)/Mouse

...kvm switches allow you to control as many computers as you want with one keyboard monitor and mouse, sometimes multiple computers with multiple monitors keyboards and mice, it all depends on what kind of kvm switch you have.

you need 1 kvm cable for each computer on the kvm switch.

REALIZE: your network switch, isn't the same as a kvm switch, not even close to the same....network swtich + kvm cables == wasted money and time :D

for your network you will need a regular switch, cat cable (ethernet cable). and a kvm switch with kvm cables if you wanted a kvm

i have heard of large many computer kvm's, but i only have experiance with the $40 2 computer ones.

windows 2000 will be fine for any netowrk under 20 computers. 2000 server is fine for as many as you could possibly afford to network.

Oh, and i run windows 2000 pro, i've never seen the non pro version. Ever. is there one?

thanks guys ( am i being a freak if i buy 3 emachine mid towers ( with every thing ( except keyboard and monitor ) for my servers ( becuse thats all i am going to use them for is servers )

why waste your money on crap that will break.

build your own, otherwise get like a dell 400sc

why do you need 3 servers anyways...?

a dell 400c ( how mucn ( I need at elast 2 and i have 100 usd to buy them with ). for a project I cannot descuse on the forums ( but ill drop you an www.darpa.com ) site and you see why i will need one ( one will be games / music and email )

i'll be using iether a 900 mhz, a 500mhz, or a 166 mhz for my file server...throw a decent raid card in there and the computer doesnt mean much.

i'm thinking 4X 200gb in raind 5 :)

Back