• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router and Power signals

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Power signals?

Is something wrong with the electrical system in your house?

OK with a router you will not lose signal degredation. There should be some sort of small amplifier in them to ensure signals make their way to the intended PC's connected to the router.

But if you are referring to signal loss from you modem to the ISP, yes degredation occurs. This is where you either use an amplifier to boost the signal to desired levels. Sometimes this can correct download/upload speeds. You can check the signals via your modem once you query it.

Heres mine.

Downstream Value
Frequency 303000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
Power Level -2 dB
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 5
Frequency 25008000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 53 dBmV

Whatever you have on your lan isn't going to affect your cablemodem's electrical hookup to the isp. Never.

B/c a router contains its own amplification circuits to preven it. If you have a splitter you are effictively putting a fork in the road for the data to travel.

Remember that you lose voltage/current the longer the distance it has to travel. This is why a amplifiier on you cable is needed at times to help cure signal issues as I have already said. This amplifier resembles that inside the router except the router is not that have a of a capacity.

For each port that is on your router, the router provides constant good signals for the the PCs. But I would like to also stress that CAT5 can only run so far before the signal becomes garbled from the router/switch/hub/etc. Then you would need an amplifier for the CAT5 to keep the data readable. But the length is pretty far from what I remember.

edit: added some more stuff

amplifiers for CAT5 cable is expensive.

If you want an amplifier for your cable that runs to your modem from teh ISP, you will either have to contact them or look at CC/BB/Radio Shack for one.

Zatrix said:
my upstream is 49 but when i take off my splitter it goes down to 47. what causes that? splitters cause degradtion. why wouldn't a router?

Because the router is only sending packets to the modem. It's digital. It has no understanding of what is on the wan port, all it cares about is ethernet and packets.

As opposed to extending a bunch of analog electrical connections through extension cords and splitters and whatnot as you would do with phone lines or television cable.

kinda of subject but isn't it kind of wierd that the isp can be miles away and the signal is great when it reaches your house but if you add 1 or 2 simple splitters your signal starts to weaken. im saying isn't it wierd that it can reach for miles and miles but it cant handle a few splitters

Its probably either miles and miles on one amplified wire, or they digitize it soon after it leaves your house so then it doesn't electrically matter how far it is.

Back