• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on a new video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

westau

Registered
I bought my comp a couple years ago and it has a geforce 4 mx440 video card, which i know is a terrible gaming card. So I want to get a new one, not something too expensive. I was thinking something in the range of the 9600xt. Should I go with that one or are their better ways to spend my money around that price range(under $200)

For under $200 the best card you can get is a ATi 9800 Pro for about $195 from newegg.

thanks for the welcome, and the 9800 pro looks like a good deal under $200.

also would it still be worth it to get the 9800 pro even though my mobo is only 4x agp? Or should I upgrade my mobo first and then when i get the cash get a new video card? How much of a difference does it actually make only having the 4x agp instead of the 8?

Your fine, go ahead and get the 9800 pro that is what I did. I am going to be getting a new computer here in a couple months, for now I will have the 9800 pro on a compaq 1800+ 512DDR. I upgraded the power supply to 420W to get me through till my computer comes in. It seems that you will have to have a brand name power supply of 350W or better with the 3.3V@ 28A 5V@16A or better. My power supply was only $40 shipped 3.3V@30A 5V@18A !

I was planning on getting a 9800pro as well to keep my fun, gaming level satisfied before PCI-E becomes standard, which is at least a year.

Back