• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing A64 CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bar

Registered
Im get my new 3000+ today and just got a few Q's on installing it.

- I have arctic silver 5 paste, should I use some of that on the chip or is the bubblegum stuff that comes with it good enough? I heard it runs cool enough not to put thermal paste on?

- Are the A64s Hsf easy to install?

If u already have AS5 then i would scrap that junk off and use it.
well for majority of the geeks i would say the HSF is simple to install but i have seen some pretty stupid morons ;)

I say uses arctiv silver 5. There is about a 6C diffence I got in my temp over the bubblegum stuff with my AMD64 3000+.

As for the heatsink it is really easy to install. just when you lock down the heatsink wiht the leval you are going to have to use A LOT of force. Basicly in the range where you are really worried about breaking something. But it a lot easier to install than the XP chips (or so I am told since I have never installed anything but my AMD 64 3000+)

yes u do apply alot of force but dont worry the IHS will protect the core.

What do I scrape the bubblegum off with? does it have to be completely clean?

The cleaner the better. Scrape it off with something that wont scratch the heatsink, like a razor. Then use something like lighter fluid and/or a lot of rubbing to take the rest off. For best results you should also clean it with rubbing alcohol to make sure there is no junk in between.

Rubbing alcohol also works very well once you have the majority of it off there. I find myself with access to this more so then lighter fluid although that works very well. :)

I havent got any rubbing alcohol. Could I just scratch of the goo with a rozor and and thermal paste straight away?

The stuff o nthe stock HSF just wipes off it isnt the sticky stuff that was on the old Heatsinks. I dont see why people who have A64's are saying to scrap it off.....

Just get a towel or rag or something and wipe it off

A piece of sharp plastic is usually good enough to remove the stuff. Rubbing alcohol or acetone/white spirits can be used, but it's not really essential. Just try and get all the lumps of stuff off, otherwise basically you'll have thermal paste contacting other thermal paste (With air in between) which will affect the temperatures adversely.

Back