• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old hard drive window mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixzen

Anyone ever take an old hard drive you don't really care about and perform a window mod on it. Then plug power into just so it spins? I'm thinking of doing it just for show so people think wow.

It should work as long as you don't get any dust inside, i've never actually tried it tho. Unless you've got access to a clean room, I'd just find the most dust-free environment you can to do it in. Pretty, pretty platters...

Well I've heard if you bump up the room humidity like a restroom right after a shower or use a swamp cooler or something of that sort, it will create a more cleaner environment. Then you'd just do your quick platter work near the floor on a little stool with your tools where's it's nice and cool. Only thing I'd worry about it static.

I have no idea about the room humitidy thing. I guess I actually should from chemistry however I don't feel like thinking of anything usefull because im at work. But yes, you can put a window in an old hd with a relativley painless amount of effort. Just make sure that you dont totally seal the drive after your done. Remember that all HD's actually gave a pin head size hole with a dust filter covering it.

If you bump up the humidity in the room before you do the mod all the dust will fall to the fround cuz of the extra weight. I've done the mod. Did it without a "clean" room. Just used a anti-static bag to avoid getting dust into the drive. Installed win98 and it still works.
This is a old 2GB seagate drive...
hdwindow.jpg

yeah JoT is wanting to do this to his raptor!! oh noes, i'd be much to scared to take apart a raptor!

Well i have an old hard drive that is to small to be useful I started modding, but never finished. I know its been contaminated, but all I want to do is figure out how to mod it so the head just keeps sweeping over the drive like its reading and not for actual data storage.

i just did the mod to a 20 gig western Digital...

made an entirely new top cover spacers and all...

havent booted it up yet... sorta scared

Just as long as you make sure you don't get ONE lint on it, your cool. Yes I know it's assuring. :drool:

Back