• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help tweak my newcastle and K8V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
Hey all,

I am somewhat confused about overclocking on this board. It goes to 300fsb, but im not even thinking about that. I keep hearing about a 1:7 divider to get a higher fsb, but I cannot find the option. I have also heard that it just works by itselt when you reach a certain fsb frequency. Anyway, I have CH5 ram and I don't really know how high it will go, but I want to get the most out of my processor. It is running fine at 215x11 right now.

OK, I am getting off topic. Basically, I just want to know if it is true that there is a 1:7 divider and if anyone else has had luck with this board. Thanks for reading.

-Collin-

do you know the revision of your board?, there have been some that say that they have been about to get a 7:2:1 devisor to work, but it does seem to do it automaticly w/ k8v,they just set the HTT up and it automaticly steps the divisor down, but it doesnt work on all boards, if it doesnt work, then youll be hard pressed to get 215-220FSB, and if you do get it to work, then from what others have said, then you should be able to get 230-235ish, if you ram will go there, and if your ram wont then you can always run it on a divisor(i.e 166, instead of 200).

it is possible for your ch-5 to run 230-235 though, you will just have to try.

also try 3x and 4x ldt mult, up Vdd(chipset) voltage, and up the V-LDT.

also what Cpu do you have ?

I've got a CG core Newcastle 3200+. From what I hear, it is not a bad chip.

My computer is perfectly stable at 215fsb right now with ram at 1:1. I guess there is only one way to find out if it will go higher :D

Thanks Jess...appreciate it. I'll keep you posted!

-Collin-

OK, it ran 235x11 @ 1.55 volts which is pretty good. I didn't think this board could do that with no pci lock and all. It makes me believe that there really IS a 1:7 pci divider. Although...there is no options for dividers in the bios, other than for ram. Once I get my new memory, I'll shoot for 250fsb. :D

-Collin-

if you reflash the board with the v 1.4 bios you will get both the 7x and the 8x divider, its the one im currently using as my locks do not work.
Yes, the cg newcastle is awesome. check out mine @ stock voltage and cooling.

screenie.JPG

superamd said:
if you reflash the board with the v 1.4 bios you will get both the 7x and the 8x divider, its the one im currently using as my locks do not work.
Yes, the cg newcastle is awesome. check out mine @ stock voltage and cooling.

screenie.JPG

sorry superamd:(, you have an ABIT KV8 PRO, which is different from his, ASUS K8V, the greatest ratio(afaik) the Asus k8v can have is a 7:2:1.....

The AGP/PCI dividers do not work on my K8V SE Deluxe rev 1.12 with 1004 (just released) BIOS. I can do 235 FSB though just fine with my 9700 Pro. You'd think there might be an AGP/PCI lock because of that, but if I do 230 FSB it still works fine, so that means that my 9700 Pro is just able to handle the fast AGP bus pretty well. It doesn't work at 240, though.

There could be a difference between the K8V and K8V SE Deluxe, though... it'd be weird if the plain K8V had the dividers but the K8V SE Deluxe didn't.

Wow....this is a strange board. Why couldnt the bios just have an option for which divider to use like most of the KT600 boards. VIA makes me more angry every day, or maybe it's asus I should be mad at. Anyway, I guess I cannot complain about 235fsb.

-Collin-

Back