• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solid State drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark Spot

Registered
Can anyone offer any insight into why I haven't really seen any solid state drives for the PC? I am not talking 10's of gigs worth, just a couple gigs for the OS to be on.

Yes, they are around, but they are pretty dang expensive. But, they are pretty dang fast to make up for it, and more reliable.

I would consider your proposed setup a good idea, but having your programs on a partition different that your OS seems like bad news to me. Do you know a good away around that potential problem?

That drives are industrial/military quality. The commerical quality solid state drives don't cost nearly as much, but they still are relatively expensive compared to regular HDDs.

Also another problem is that motheboards arent fast enough to transfer inforamtion that fast... so even if you did have a solid state drive, you would be limited to what your motherboard was designed to do... which aint very much at all.

they are came out with the 1GB flash drive already right? in the near future i hope they make solid drive at around 10GB, we just need that much for OS n programs and stuff, much more reliable and not afraid that it's gonna go n die on us like the ones we're having right now. Considering the size of the flash drive for 1GB i would think that at the size of our HD, 10GB shouldn't be a problem. Too bad those idiot manufacture never thought of that.

Back