• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forcing DX9.0 On FX Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does that mean that all of the other benchmarks are running the fx ins 8.0/8.1?

Neat article. I was hoping they'd found a way to get DX9 on FXs (even though they do poorly with it), since it'd be a more fair comparison. Oh well, mabey somebody will find a way to do it yet :)

JigPu

WHAT? The FX is running the benchmarks and such in directx 9. Currently, 3dmark 2k3 uses directx 9 and such, and Half-Life 2 will also. That is why the FX series are gonna suck some MAJOR A$$ in half-life 2. I highly doubt I am running 3dmark03 in directx 8.0-8.1... I have NEVER even installed directx 8.1 (nor lower), although I do believe that directx 9 and directx 8.1 share the sam ecomponents (so maybe it would be possible that benchmarks are running in directx 8.1). Maybe CS source and Half-life 2 will run the FX's in dx 8.1, but I doubt many of the new games are....

buddhafumes HL2 uses pure DX9.0 code which the FX is not suited to and thus they do so poorly ( according to Valve ) that they need to run in DX8.0 or 8.1 . The reason that this doesn't happen in other games is often due to other developers watering down the DX9.0 code to include partial precision 16bit instead of 24bit ( the standard) and doing several other optimisations to cause the FX series to run properly .

Yeah yeah, thanks for that information. Well, I am gunna be happy with this FX5900 for a while, well, until I beat Doom 3 (that is IF I can beat it- that game almost makes me **** in my pants every time I play it). I don't want no stinkin 10fps on low settings in HL2, might as well get that $183.00 9800pro from newegg. My opinion on optimizations is let any company do waht they want (INCLUDING ATi and Nvidia) as long as it looks as good (or better) and runs faster. Hasn't been even a year with my FX and I am already considering of replacing it....

Well in all fairness the 5900 that you have will still get the job done nicely in HL2 ........... but using DX8.1 . Valve has done a good job in making the DX8.0 and 8.1 paths still look very very good but obviously DX9 looks best . It is indeed sad that people with cards that were considered to be highend just 2 months ago ( some still consider them to be ) have to make such compromises , but this was predicted since last year .

Yeah, I read the link and It showed that the image quality isn't that different, because I wont be playing the game to look at walls, I'll be playin gto rip aliens a new one (yeah sounds really redneck-I must be mentally impaired with all the stuff I have been doing lately). As long as I can play Hl2 with medium settings at a nice frame rate I'll be happy. However, Doom 3 runs as smooth as a baby's bottom at 1024x768 high settings.

I saw the article earlier, if this is any indicator of HL2 ( and then again it could or could not ) FX cards will run the game pretty good on 8.0 and 8.1 mode and looks virtually as good ( again maybe this could all change on the final relase ). In fact people with radeons could want to force 8.0 and 8.1 too if they hardware is not top notch and they want to squeeze more performance out of it ( and it really looks that they wouldnt be sacrificing all that much for 9600-800 cards and low-mid end hardware )

Back